Frequency of Property Visits

Frequency of Property Visits

Investor · Port Saint Lucie, FL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 6 votes
For those who self manage, how often do you go to the property? It’s always a nerve racking thing for me when I go, as you never know what you are going to find. Just looking for some opinions.
0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2017 · 290 posts · 185 votes
8y

At least once a month for exterior.  Around every 6 months for interior.However, I walk through interior common areas every time im at the property.  Whenever there’s a maintainance issue, I take care of it myself so I can look around the unit.  Don’t be afraid of what you’ll find.  Letting issues go for long periods of time will only make them worse.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    8y

    I go monthly to check out the outside and common areas and to just be present. Check light bulbs and things like that.

  • Property Manager · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 80 votes
    8y

    Hello Beau! I technically self manage, as I am a Property Manager ;) I walk through all of the properties under my management at least every 6 months, and if I see anything out of the ordinary, I'll take pictures with my phone and address the situation later. I give my tenants at least a 24 hour notice of my walk through. I'd much rather face the situations head on and as early as possible than deal with any negative ramifications down the line!

  • Michael DangPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    8y

    I try to go once a month for varying reasons or if I am in the area drop by.  When I go I view the exterior property condition and sometimes the tenants see me around.  That's keeps them on their toes as they know I'm around.

  • Rental Property Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2017 · 290 posts · 185 votes
    8y

    At least once a month for exterior.  Around every 6 months for interior.However, I walk through interior common areas every time im at the property.  Whenever there’s a maintainance issue, I take care of it myself so I can look around the unit.  Don’t be afraid of what you’ll find.  Letting issues go for long periods of time will only make them worse.

  • Investor · Port Saint Lucie, FL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    @Dick Stevens thanks
  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    2x per month. Gotta stay on them.  As they stabilize, you can roll back to once per month once you know the tenants are solid.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.