Where to advertise rentals to find tenants?

12 Replies

I have to imagine this has been discussed before so I apologize for bringing it up again, but I can't seem to find a similar post anywhere in the forums here.

Where do you all advertise your rentals that need to be filled? I have my first rental up on craigslist and zillow and I'm not getting much interest. Maybe I just have the asking rent too high, but if there are any other good sites to post my house for rent to generate more interest, I'd love to hear what everyone uses. Thanks!

Zillow also populates trulia and hotpads...so you’re good. Unless you are in a market where everyone uses a realtor. Sometimes the time of the month affects response rate with mid-month looking to give notice and rent the following month unless coming out if an apartment, etc. To be on the safe side I usually price a little below market and have very nice photos. It is worth a slight discount to me so I have a few choices for tenants.

When I first started out I used signs but now I only use Zillow and get better quality applicants. It is all I use now since it populates into the other sites like @Marian Smith said. Check out rent-o-meter to see if your rent is too high. Of the few that you get to come look who say no, ask them why they are declining. Maybe you are just too close to the project and can't see a problem that renters notice. 

Hi Sam T., 

There are many places online to list your rentals that need to be filled (ASAP!). TransUnion SmartMove has done their own research to narrow down the 5 most popular sites. What are the perks of these sites? They are effective and user friendly!

Feel free to check out our blog "26 Best Websites to List Your Rental Property Listing" for further information. Best of luck!

If you are not getting any interest in your rental, research your competition.  That'll tell you if you are competitively priced for the features in your property.  If you are asking the same rent as everyone else for a comparable property, either lower the rent by $10-50 or add some perks to the property.  Perks could be anything to a washer and dryer in the house to new appliances or allowing pets.  Depending on the area, you could also try posting to facebook (I haven't had any look with facebook).  I've had some applicants contact me from signs at the property as well.  For rent signs have pros and cons.  I no longer use signs.  If you are near a military installation, contact their housing office and ask how you can advertise to service members.  

Hi Sam! There is plenty of free landlord software out there that offers market syndication. This means that you create a property listing and then with one click the listing will post to all of the major listing sites. If you need any recommendations on software, please feel free to PM me! Best of luck finding tenants! 

Have a realtor post on the local MLS. It should publish to Zillow, HotPads, and other sites, if the local MLS has that feature. Lots of good quality pictures help.

@Sam T. In addition to Zillow and other RE sites I also use Facebook and that’s how I found my last tenants. I joined a bunch of the buy/sell/trade sites in my area first. Then I put my ad in the Facebook marketplace and also had them post on the buy/sell/trade pages. I recieved WAY more responses this way vs. Zillow. You can communicate via messenger to keep it organized, and refresh the ad once a week to keep it toward the top of the listings.
Originally posted by @Matt Pastier :
@Sam T. In addition to Zillow and other RE sites I also use Facebook and that’s how I found my last tenants. I joined a bunch of the buy/sell/trade sites in my area first. Then I put my ad in the Facebook marketplace and also had them post on the buy/sell/trade pages. I recieved WAY more responses this way vs. Zillow. You can communicate via messenger to keep it organized, and refresh the ad once a week to keep it toward the top of the listings.

Can you give an example of a buy/sell/trade page? I'm not aware of anything like that. You mean like craigslist?

@Sam T. You can search for them in Facebook. In the search bar at the top put in your town name or county name. If the town is Salem for example, you might find something like “Salem buy sell and trade”. They’re usually moderated and you have to request to join. I’ve found that a lot of people are active on them, and when I’ve posted properties people will tag family and friends they think might like it. I don’t see a ton of rentals posted in them yet so it’s a lot less competitive than the typical sites - at least in my market.