What "go to" fixturesproducts do you use in your rentals?

7 Replies

Looking for help selecting good value (price and quality) products to put in a rental.  I am replacing toilets, sinks, countertops and faucets now but will soon be replacing other things from windows and doors to stove and refrigerator and everything in between.

I am wondering if other people have already done the research and have "go to" products that they use in their rentals.

For rentals I like cheap, If I am replacing something or fixing something for a tenant who has been with me over a year I will get something a little better than the cheapest.

Cadet 3 toilets. Cheap, and never, ever need a 2nd flush.

Don't do big box melamine counters, they always get wet and fall apart. If you're handy and granite slab is beyond your price point granite tile is a good DIY. But granite is extremely durable and practical, unlike Corian or other trendy surfaces. Get a dark color which won't stain, or at least won't show it.

I just got what appears to be amazing quality cheap vanity faucets from Amazon, branded Parlos. $35, popup drains and come with hoses! Far better quality than comparably priced from a big box. I've decided I hate the plunger popups, they always break and are much harder to snake hair out with those barbed sticks.

Frigidaire ranges. I've got like 10 and no trouble. Bought a nice looking Whirlpool and the igniter had needed service twice in a few months.

This is a great question and I’m curious to see the responses it gets. I like vinyl planks for the floors because they’re durable (if you use good material) and waterproof. I’ve been advised to avoid garbage disposals because they’re a maintenance headache. For your windows, be sure that they have a low-e coating on them. That coating, which doesn’t cost much more, protects the interiors material from sun damage, lowers the amount of heat from the sun on the inside, and allows visible light to still shine through.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  Those are some great ideas.  I sure would like some more great advice. The seasoned pros "must" have some go to items they purchase over and over. TIA

Originally posted by @Johann Jells :

Cadet 3 toilets. Cheap, and never, ever need a 2nd flush.

Don't do big box melamine counters, they always get wet and fall apart. If you're handy and granite slab is beyond your price point granite tile is a good DIY. But granite is extremely durable and practical, unlike Corian or other trendy surfaces. Get a dark color which won't stain, or at least won't show it.

I just got what appears to be amazing quality cheap vanity faucets from Amazon, branded Parlos. $35, popup drains and come with hoses! Far better quality than comparably priced from a big box. I've decided I hate the plunger popups, they always break and are much harder to snake hair out with those barbed sticks.

Frigidaire ranges. I've got like 10 and no trouble. Bought a nice looking Whirlpool and the igniter had needed service twice in a few months.

Love the idea of granite tile but can’t find any!  Where are you buying yours?