• Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
Existing tenant wants to add boyfriend to the lease

Julie Gates
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Posted Aug 10 2018, 13:11

I have a tenant who is 3 months into a 2 year lease. I like this tenant and am glad to have him. Two months ago, my tenant called to say that he needed help evicting the boyfriend. He had called the police to get him out and they told my tenant that since the boyfriend had been staying at the property for longer than 30 days he would need to be evicted. I told my tenant that he is the only one on the lease and we don't recognize any visitors as tenants (per the lease) so I would not be able to help. Now, 2 months later, he has called saying he wants to add the boyfriend onto the 2 year lease. I asked him if the boyfriend would be paying part of the rent and he said no. I really would prefer not to add the boyfriend but I'm really not sure what to do? 1) Do I need to do a full background and credit check on him? 2) Can I decline to change the lease? 3) If things go south again, am I to evict both? I would like to avoid any personal drama and just deal with my initial tenant. I am in Georgia.

Loading replies...