Estimating Rents in Multifamilies

Estimating Rents in Multifamilies

Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes

Hi everyone,

I often use Rentometer.com when analyzing a property to estimate rents in single family homes. I imagine that the rental for a 2/1 single family is more than a 2/1 multifamily unit, but Rentometer doesn't take that into account. What is the most effective way to estimate rents for multifamily rentals?

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · NY · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 60 votes
8y

I would try to find rental comps in your area (Zillow,MLS,apartments.com,etc..) that specify if the apartment is in a home, garden apartment or is a single-family home. Rentometer is a broad picture that will just take what the average rent is in your area for a 2/1 apartment.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · NY · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    I would try to find rental comps in your area (Zillow,MLS,apartments.com,etc..) that specify if the apartment is in a home, garden apartment or is a single-family home. Rentometer is a broad picture that will just take what the average rent is in your area for a 2/1 apartment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    @Shafi Noss Use local comps
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Shafi Noss - follow the advice of @Kevin K. 

    I determine my comps by following the market on at least a weekly basis on Zillow (and others). There are a host of different level apartments in my area from highrise to old multi-family victorian homes. If you know your town/city and actively analyze the competition, then you are in a far better position to know what the market rate is, in my opinion. I favorite any apartment offered and then any time they go back on the market, I am alerted.

    You are your best "price setter" and it is a load of fun too.

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
    8y

    That makes sense, thanks guys. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.