Sex Offenders C Class properties

21 Replies

Is there a niche for renting  C and D class properties to sex offenders?  I've worked with this population in the past and the majority live in C or D class neighborhoods. Less than 5% of sex offender re-offend after release from jail or prison based upon national data. I am assuming it wouldn't be an issue for  people in those communities. I would only do it on a sub 30K home that wasn't near a school, nursery, playground, etc.

I am really waiting with bated breath on this one for the first response: "I LOVE RENTING TO SEX OFFENDERS!!!"

A lot of people are trapped in substandard housing notwithstanding their good credit and income because a background check will report a felony. Sex offenders are an especially hated minority of this group. You can find good tenants that no one else will take a shot at here. You can also find a world of problems if you can't check these people out with a microscope.

Why would you only bring mass sex offenders and shove them all in low income communities? Do they need a concentration of that of that?

i’m curious to see the answers to this. Is there money that could possibly be made… Sure. I think it’s a sweeping generalization though to say that people in these neighborhoods don’t care (or won’t be a problem, in your words). I’m a mom and regardless of where I live I still care who is in my neighborhood and around my kids. I think it’s kind of naïve to think that just because someone may be on the lower socioeconomic scale they won’t have an issue with a sex offender in their neighborhood. I’d also like to see where you got your statistic about less than 5% reoffending. I don’t believe that.

You guys are buying in to the stereotype of who is a sex offender! Female sex offenders recidivism is lower than 5%.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/49629947_The_Recidivism_Rates_of_Female_Sexual_Offenders_Are_Low_A_Meta-Analysis

These women have children and need shelter. Remember it’s illlegal to discriminate! Parole boards and non profit organizations are looking for landlords to refer clients.

I think this is such a touchy subject. On one hand I understand your point that not all sex offenders are what most people think of. In Colorado you can become a registered sex offender for urinating in public. On the other hand you have the other type that everyone thinks of, that are true pedophiles. I know I wouldn't want to rent to those individuals. But you can't choose to rent to one type versus the other, so I wouldn't rent to either. Plus if you have kids I'm sure you wouldn't feel comfortable with it, so I wouldn't do it to another family.

To begin everyone must realise that this would be strictly a business decision. All other aspects should be irrelevant in the event the decision is to go forward with this option (renting to sex offenders). Keeping in mind that every sex offender is living somewhere already so this is not breaking new ground.

This is a knish market that can be financially advantageous to some investors. You could charge a above market rent, since they are likely desperate, and increase your profit margins while addressing a definite housing issue for these indivulaes. The advantage to having C/D properties is not so much that the tenants do not care it is that they do not have the luxury of caring. A example being that most indivuales would likley choose not to live next door to welfare reciepients. They do so because they have no other options. This allows the landlord more control.

If you choose to accept a offender whether it is sex or some other capital offense there is very little other residents can do about it aside from moving. After all they are all aware that these risks go along with being C/D class. Drugs, guns, violence and unfortunately sex offenders. 

The reality is that as a C/D landlord you should not be swimming up stream against the current. If you have a sex offender apply you screen and assuming they qualify in all other aspects then why would you not accept them.

For those wishing to throw their emotions and personal moral outrage and righteous indignation onto the table try to keep in mind this is nothing more than a business decision. Others may not wish to venture into this however their own personal feelings toward this tenant class is irrelevant. Someone will rent to them somewhere, no reason for others not to explore the option.

For myself I do not hold C/D class properties therefor not a consideration.  

@Thomas S. You are right it is a business decision, and if were A/B properties it would be the same for me as a landlord. Not worth it to me both financially and morally.

@Sedgrid Lewis ,

I'm right in your target area of C/D properties,  and I would just say-- it depends.   I always say "I can take a past, I can't take a liar" and that goes with this too.       

I don't think with the lower class properties, someone should have a scarlet "S" for the rest of their life,  everyone needs a home.   If they had 1 say 20+ years ago,  perfect record otherwise,  I'd possibly consider it, but if it was an offender with multiple infractions... I couldn't morally do it if there were kids/families nearby.  Everyone has a past, and everyone has their limits of what they will/won't accept.    

My mentor made A LOT of money, and I think the basis of his rental criteria was a pulse,... so whether someone accepts or doesn't, there's no need to judge because it's all about business models.. and remember-- everyone needs a home!

@Sedgrid Lewis   Unless your state has laws to the contrary, sex offenders are not a protected class.  They're certainly not on the federal list of protected classes, so  discriminating against them is legal.

Whether it's a good idea is a completely different question.

Yes, there are LLs who make a good living serving this niche market.

My husband retired from being a mental health case manager for more than 30 years in the south Puget Sound area.  There were several LLs of class C multifamily properties that would take felons and  sexual offenders in the area where he worked.  These properties met the housing criteria most sexual offenders must adhere to  as part of their prison release (away from schools and parks, etc.)  These properties were well known to the professionals involved in finding housing for felons, sexual offenders  and people with mental illness.  My husband described these LLs as streetwise men who were not easily intimidated.  They worked closely with the mental health case managers and would often call the mental health agency to get a tenant checked on, if a client/tenant seemed to be decompensating. 

If you want to get into this niche, market your properties to parole officers and the case managers at your local community mental health agency.

What a relief ...only 5 people out of a hundred sex perverts go back and rape kids again . What could possibly go wrong ? Sounds like a great business plan  bro . What if  one of those 5 perverts that molested kids did it to  another young  tenant in that same multifamily building you own ? What if it was one of your kids ?   What if you could get 50 more bucks in rent because he was desperate due to him sodomizing some kid years ago ? So At what point does morality and principles trump making money ? It begs the question : What is every mans limit ? 

My husband described these LLs as streetwise men who were not easily intimidated.

If that is not you, or close enough, running a place like this is not for you I guess.

@Sedgrid Lewis The only times I wouldn't rent to a sex offender is if they were convicted of a sexual offense involving violence or if it involved a child. It's not a matter of them reoffending, it's a matter of the type of people you want in your rentals, regardless of area. I think a landlord has a responsibility to the try and improve the community in which their rentals are located. This is just my opinion.
@Sedgrid Lewis I bought a rental across the street from a sex offender. I looked up his charge and my sister, the probation officer, said, “he plead it down.” So whatever the charge, in my instance the guy served time for indecency with a 17 year old minor...which sounded to me like a drunk exposing himself...it was worse...maybe a lot worse. My sister moved into a cj management position decades ago and Immediately stopped taking sex offender clients because she could...she decided how the case load was distributed. And these potential clients did not do time. However, she did say there were plenty of “sex offenders” who got a raw deal. But I doubt any that did time were in that “raw deal” category.
Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

To begin everyone must realise that this would be strictly a business decision. All other aspects should be irrelevant in the event the decision is to go forward with this option (renting to sex offenders). Keeping in mind that every sex offender is living somewhere already so this is not breaking new ground.

This is a knish market that can be financially advantageous to some investors. You could charge a above market rent, since they are likely desperate, and increase your profit margins while addressing a definite housing issue for these indivulaes. The advantage to having C/D properties is not so much that the tenants do not care it is that they do not have the luxury of caring. A example being that most indivuales would likley choose not to live next door to welfare reciepients. They do so because they have no other options. This allows the landlord more control.

If you choose to accept a offender whether it is sex or some other capital offense there is very little other residents can do about it aside from moving. After all they are all aware that these risks go along with being C/D class. Drugs, guns, violence and unfortunately sex offenders. 

The reality is that as a C/D landlord you should not be swimming up stream against the current. If you have a sex offender apply you screen and assuming they qualify in all other aspects then why would you not accept them.

For those wishing to throw their emotions and personal moral outrage and righteous indignation onto the table try to keep in mind this is nothing more than a business decision. Others may not wish to venture into this however their own personal feelings toward this tenant class is irrelevant. Someone will rent to them somewhere, no reason for others not to explore the option.

For myself I do not hold C/D class properties therefor not a consideration.  

I don't know tough one.. understand the business end.. I think the best answer is the LL that set these up and worked with the parole boards..  And knew exactly what they are getting into and probably self manage.  And takes on ALL the hard cases.. and I guess its just an extension of prison at some point.. same guests.. different venue.

I've never seen someone advertise to sex offenders before, but it seems like there could be one upside to it - longevity of the tenant.  Their housing options are constrained, making it less likely to move.  Generally, it is a good idea to avoid criminals, even former criminals.  

I'd treat it according to the situation.  If you have a low-end property, it could be a good fit.