Fireplace in a rental

3 Replies

I'm purchasing a SFR that has a fireplace. I would prefer the tenant not to use the fireplace. Can I put in the lease, that the fireplace can not be used? Thanks.

@Thomas N.

I've used a clause in my lease to the effect that "tenant understands and acknowledges that the fireplace is for decorative purposes and is not functional."  

For really important clauses, such as this one, I also have a field in the margin of the lease beside the clause.  As we reviewed the lease, I call their attention to the clause verbally, ask if they understand, and ask them to initial that we've reviewed this requirement.   I do this with pets, rent due dates and penalties, etc.  

Originally posted by @Thomas N. :

I'm purchasing a SFR that has a fireplace. I would prefer the tenant not to use the fireplace. Can I put in the lease, that the fireplace can not be used? Thanks.

Yes. Very common to do so. If it's a gas fireplace you'll also want to remove or cap the gas line going to the fireplace.

I did the same as others and also put in lease that on outside of property there are to be no open flames or grills of any type within 25 feet of any structure on the property.  Had an employee melt back side of houses siding because he had grill against house he was renting.  I trying to make sure they dont burn down my house and I a tenant does I have covered my butt as well as i could.