Votes
Allison Panila
  • Halethorpe, MD
Votes |
Landlord changed the contract after signed

Allison Panila
  • Halethorpe, MD
Posted Sep 6 2018, 21:41
Hey everyone, I was talking to a friend of mine who’s renting a basement apartment from the landlord who lives upstairs. There’s a separate entrance to the apartment. What I found odd is that the landlord wrote into the contact that she could only have guests 3 times a month (she signed it without thinking it’d be a problem). The landlord then decided her boyfriend was over too much (he isn’t living there but the landlord must be watching and didn’t define the “three times” as specific time limits, so daytime guests count the same as overnight) THEN the landlord said that my friend would have to pay more per month ($50) to have guests up to 10 times because of “wear and tear” and utilities. She’s in Prince George’s County, MD and is wondering whether this is legal or not. She felt backed into a corner because she wants to be able to have friends over, but being a long time listener, something doesn’t feel rIght to me! I would love your thoughts. I’m going to search PG County tenant laws tomorrow. Thanks!

Loading replies...