General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Findlay
Votes |
TENANTS NOISE COMPLAINTS

Bryan Findlay
Posted Sep 11 2018, 03:17

Have a younger family that pays rent on time.  2 neighbors called me to make the complaint.  We have rented for 8 years and never a complaint. I spoke with the neighbor who said basically the tenants every weekend are partying but outside which is near her window.  It goes until 1 am or so loud music, voices, beer bottles breaking.  I familiarized myself with the city ordinance and have law enforcement experience but lacking the landlord side.  I decided to draft up a brief letter which basically was pointing out the complaint and a reminder to be mindful of other neighbors.  The tenants in response sent me a case law and penal code which states they can play music up unitl 11PM per some noise act.  I know this is untrue and their are violations but explained I didn't want to get into such debate unless necessary.  The follow up was tenants send me a message, "Net time they have an issue have them come to us....not you.  oh.....and by the way we are having a live band and birthday party next weekend so make sure to invite the neighbors.."  I documented the incident, explained to the neighbor to contact PD if her  piece is being disturbed which will get me a paper trail. What should I have done or am I going about this proper?

Loading replies...