How do I handle a Tenant Car Break-In?

How do I handle a Tenant Car Break-In?

Rental Property Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 31 votes

A question for the masses:

I own/occupy a 4Plex in Anchorage and am still trying to figure out how to talk to tenants - and what medium to use. In the lease I have with my tenants, we stipulate that each unit is authorized 2 vehicles per unit. The last week of August, one of my tenants bought an RV and parked it on the driveway (they already have a Hyundai and a jeep). Because they said they didn't have anywhere to store it and had a plan (they were just waiting for a spot to open up at the facility), I gave them a week to move it.  I came back from a trip three weeks later, and it was still there. I knocked on their door and told them that I would have to have it towed if it wasn't moved by the next day. They moved it that night - just parked it down the street where it currently remains.

Fast forward to last Saturday - the same tenants purchase another vehicle! They park one of their original vehicles behind their RV down the street to respect the 2 car per unit policy. At 5:30 AM on Sunday, their car alarm goes off and wakes everyone in the cul-de-sac up. As we drive by it on our way to run errand later in the day, we find the back window had been shattered. We informed the tenants that their jeep had been broken into and let them know we could help if they needed anything. They brought the jeep back on the property, parked their new bronco behind it, and parked their Hyundai half on the pavement and half on the lawn.

My question is: how long should I wait before bringing it up? I don't want to be heartless - they just had a car broken into. But at the same time, none of this would have happened if they would have planned ahead and found storage for both the vehicles they knew they didn't have room for anyway. I have another unit filled by three siblings, and we told them they couldn't have a third car - so how long should I give these guys before bringing up that it needs to be moved without souring the rapport I have with these guys? And if/when I do - should that just be a face to face conversation or a formal notice that they were instructed to move their car?

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

Their car getting broke in to is irrevellent to the situation .  They are allowed 2 parking spaces .   What you need to do is issue parking permits and make a sign , any car parked without a permit is towed .  Then find a local tow company 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    @Jeremy Bartlett Go talk to them and lay the law down If they continue theIr bad behavior then post a comply or quit document up
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeremy Bartlett I agree with @Dennis M. You need to enforce the lease. Your tenant having more than 2 vehicles is not your problem. The longer you wait to address this the harder it will be to deal with.

    I would send a 14 day notice to cure and not bother knocking on doors.

  • Real Estate Agent · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2017 · 294 posts · 182 votes
    8y

    Not making it easy on you are they! I'd say - firm but fair - if you have to. If you have more space - naturally share it - but sounds like it is tight. If they'll take advantage of your kindness here and now - they'll do it again on the interior of the building too. I'd say let them know where your line is (if it isn't changing or is...) - and hold it firm. Let them move along if need be - despite the short term pain it may feel like it is causing!

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    8y

    There is nothing heartless about it.  They know the rules.  You already had to remind them about it with the RV.  Sure, that's a bummer their car got broken into.  It might have happened no matter where they parked.  Maybe they left something valuable in it.  But even if the break-in was a result of it being the only car on the street, that still doesn't matter.  I would give them one more verbal warning/reminder.  And then post a Notice to Cure, if they don't comply.

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 313 posts · 190 votes
    8y

    Sounds like it is their issue to work through, why would it affect your relationship with them? You didn't break the window.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Their car getting broke in to is irrevellent to the situation .  They are allowed 2 parking spaces .   What you need to do is issue parking permits and make a sign , any car parked without a permit is towed .  Then find a local tow company 

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    @Jeremy Bartlett you’re borrowing trouble, stop trying to console and get involved with tenants personal problems. Negative issues resulting from enforcing the lease are not your concern. If they moved their car and then found a winning lottery ticket on the ground would you be owed something?
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    Your only responsibility (and focus) is enforcing the lease. The rest is personal responsibility, police, and insurance.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and addressed the issue - rather than jumping straight to a threat towards eviction with a notice to comply, I sent a simple text message first asking them to get the car off the grass, and to get the other vehicle moved within two weeks. The car was moved 30 minutes later and I came to find out they are selling their third vehicle anyway. They said if it wasn't sold by the date I specified they would find a new place to park it. Maybe new at this landlord thing, but I guess it boils down to simply not being afraid to just talk to tenants. Communication is the key to success!

    Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's willingness to weigh in on the situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.