I just got a $30k quote for a new roof! LOL

41 Replies

A guy was walking around the neighborhood last night offering free quotes from "Power Remodeling" on new windows and a roof. I knew my house was due for a new roof soon as it's 18 years old, so I let him have a look. He did find two active leaks in my attic that I was unaware of but then quoted me $30k to replace the roof. I live in Pearland, and I do believe the leaks likely started during hurricane Harvey or shortly thereafter, because we had an inspection on the house a few months before and no issues of this nature were noted. 

I plan to keep our house as a buy-and-hold rental property so I'd like to have a high-quality roof, but I am not spending $30k (our house is only 1900 SF, architectural shingle.) I've heard I should pay about $3.50/SF from REI meetups I've attended. Anyone know any good contractors in the Houston area that service Pearland who you think would come in at a more reasonable rate?

Originally posted by @Michael Kistner :

@Whitney Breedlove

Depending on the size of the leaks I'd throw on some O'Henry's roof sealant on there until you find a more reasonable rate.

- Mike

Thanks! I've never heard of this product before. I'll definitely give it a shot in the meantime. 

@Whitney Breedlove I had power home remodeling come to my house and quote me $33k for a roof. I laughed in his face and went with a local roofer, that came highly recommended, and paid $8800. Power home remodeling has a good product, but not for 4 times the price.

I can't stand Power, they are constantly in my neighborhood knocking on doors. They like to flat out lie by getting other neighbors names and saying "Your neighbor xxx just used us for new windows". No they didn't, we know them personally!

Originally posted by @Jason D. :
@Whitney Breedlove I had power home remodeling come to my house and quote me $33k for a roof. I laughed in his face and went with a local roofer, that came highly recommended, and paid $8800. Power home remodeling has a good product, but not for 4 times the price.

Ha yeah, it's crazy! The guy even acknowledged that I probably wasn't going to pay what they were going to quote so he told me what to look for from other companies to still get a quality roof. I wish you were in my area so I could use your roofer!

Originally posted by @James Caruso :

I can't stand Power, they are constantly in my neighborhood knocking on doors. They like to flat out lie by getting other neighbors names and saying "Your neighbor xxx just used us for new windows". No they didn't, we know them personally!

watch the moving Tin man  this is the old metal siding sales schemes. 

If you want a few more years they sell an asphalt roof sealer. You roll on the primer and roll on the acrylic sealer. Get another 10yrs out of your roof, stop leaks, and it cost like 400.00 for the materials if you do it yourself. *(Other than being on the roof is dangerous, this is a very easy DIY project)

Hi @Whitney Breedlove - we must live close to each other, they knocked at my door last night too. I quickly turned them away, but I always like to write down their company name and check out the website. Thanks to your post I will know to not even waste my time with that.

Anyways, I redid the roof on my primary with a local company about a year or so ago - I believe I spent right at 9K, PM me if you would like some more info.

I  buy nothing from door to door sales people. Zero. Our front door has small window I can open and that makes it east to reject them. No, thanks! Close window.

Complete tear-off and replacement of asphalt shingles in the NY area (just north of the Bronx) ran 17k.  33k is WAY too high.  Roughly 1325 sq ft.  Also, probably a more expensive market than TX.

Joe

better yet, wait til there's hail damage and you will pay your deductible to get a new roof, that's what I did.  I think it cost $1800. we have a 2500 sq foot home.

@Whitney Breedlove it depends on the square footage of your roof, pitch, how many layers and if any decking needs to be replaced. A roofing “square” is a 10’x10’ section or 100 sf, the average size roof is 25 squares for a sfh. The average roofing costs is $350 sq. Some places are lower and some are higher but that’s the average cost. That includes removing one layer down to the wood sheathing, installing ice/shield on eves and valleys, new drip edge and synthetic paper, ridge vent, 40 year dimensional asphalt shingle and new flashings on walls and chimneys and should include a 20 year workmanship warranty, that’s what I offer. If there’s bad wood you’d be looking at $70/per sheet replaced. The price per square is higher is roof is steep, there’s a lot of valleys and cut work and/or there’s multiple layers. I just started charging $400/square recebtly. So to estimate $400x25 squares= $10k on average for your roof.

30K? Is he going to weave a roof made of doll hairs? 

But in all seriousness, there's an old-time scan where 'a roofer'  will knock on doors and offer to check a person's roof for a free estimate and when they're up there they will either intentionally damage the roof so it needs repaired or they'll B.S. up some damage. These fools often travel around the country doing this (I believe I saw it on Inside Edition or a similar show).

It's mentioned here as well as some other scams: https://bowlesroofingco.com/unscrupulous-and-scam-roofing-contractors

We will go broke if we use contractors like that.  I call that retail pricing.   Contractor outfits with heavy marketing budgets operate on the higher end of pricing.  Often, they subcontract the work out anyway.  So you got to get to quality, yet moderate priced contractors.  Ask around for referrals.

@Whitney Breedlove In my area, which is roughly 10 percent more expensive than the Houston market, I can sub a roof your size for about 5k or less. A contractor who is licensed, bonded, and insured would cost 8 to 9k. Therefore, I would recommend you get 3 estimates and check out their reputation through Yelp, Google, Angie's List, etc. When I was in need of a licensed contractor to do a roof, some of the more expensive ones had horrible reviews while a reasonably priced one had great reviews. Guess who I picked?

Hi Whitney, my husband manages a roofing company in your area.  He says there was a hailstorm near 288 in May and insurance companies have been paying for a lot of roofs in the area.  If insurance buys the roof, you should only be out your deductible.  Definitely get a reputable roofer to come inspect the roof for hail damage.  You want a roofer who is knowledgeable about the insurance process and who can meet the insurance adjuster to point out any hail damage that is present. 

A good roof that meets windstorm specs is probably going to cost you more than $7.5k, but yeah, $30k is a bit ridiculous.  Again, if insurance covers the roof, you only have to pay your deductible, so it's worth a try.  Look for a company that's local, has good reviews, and has been around for a while (so you can count on them still being there if you need warranty work done down the road).  Message me if you want the name of my husband's company.

$3.50/sf seems a little low (at least in FL). Roof on a home that size should be $9k-11k for the better quality shingle (assuming it's not a funky roof). Either way, that's WAY below $30k. Hell, you could put on tile for significantly less than $30k!

Roofs are priced by "Square" not by square foot. 10x10 is a square. 

Depending on the brand, warranty, finish, color, etc, there are Dozens of variables.

Last I checked it was between 250-300 a square for a full tear off and all new felt/drip edges and valley metal.