How much to increase rent? Also..my tenant has a cat(surprise!)

How much to increase rent? Also..my tenant has a cat(surprise!)

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes

My tenant has been in the house for about 5 months now.

All seems to be going fine. I went to do a minor repair at the house and saw a cat which I never new about. She has two dogs which I knew about. She has a $800 pet deposit ($400 refundable and $400 non-refundable).

Any recommendations on how to handle that?

I was thinking of accessing the "damage" when she leaves and withholding the $400 non-refundable pet deposit?

If the damage is in excess of the $400 I will withhold from the security deposit.

I have carpets in the upstairs portion of the house and the dogs and cats are likely to damage those.

Her lease only expires next year. What percentage should I increase it by? I was thinking at least 2% for inflation/property taxes increases.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks

0Reply
21 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    You should "surprise" her with your local version of a 5 day notice to cure.

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Olive, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 310 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP. 

    It appears to be a lease violation. If you want to continue to have her as your resident, you can ask her for another pet deposit for the cat. 

    We do manage quite a few rentals and don’t allow pets anymore. The cost of repairs / rehab is absolutely outrageous in most cases and  usually does not cover by a small pet deposit. 

    Hope it helps. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Anthonie B.,

    If your lease doesn't have a section for bringing in pets without notifying you, it should-- and include a hefty fee.    Since the situation is different now, I'd suggest charging her your normal pet fee, and make everything non-refundable.    If it's refundable, then you have to prove damages, whereas nonrefundable essentially expects it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    @Anthonie Badenhorst Id Evict mr. whiskers or request another400$ pet deposit .
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for all the comments. I ended up charging $400 non-refundable pet deposit.

    She was happy to pay to keep Mr Whiskers.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    You won't be happy with the stink when she leaves. Cats are the worst pets to have short of large farm animals. Carpets are the least of your worries. Repairs could run far more than her deposit.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    I agree with @Thomas S. I only want to approve cats that have a strong Landlord reference. Once that odor gets in, it's almost impossible to get out.

    As a side note, you should be careful with your language. A "deposit" is refundable. A "fee" is not refundable. There is no such thing as a "non-refundable deposit" because that is contradictory.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.