Ideal Number of Bedrooms for Small Multifamily Units

2 Replies

Hi All!!! I have been searching for a multi-family unit (easier said than done). I found a contender; it's several multifamily buildings being sold as a package deal. However, there are a lot of 1 bedrooms within the unit. That seems fine to me because I know there is a market for that--young singles, young couples and even possibly single mothers with one child. When I was a young single woman all I looked for was studios or 1-bedrooms. But my husband doesn't like the idea of investing in so many one-bedroom units. I would love to hear about other's experiences with 1-bedrooms vs 2 or more. What is your preference?

I'm going to preface this post by saying I'm not an experienced investor by any means but I would think that 1 bedroom units aren't as desirable as units having multiple bedrooms.  Now I not saying that there isn't a market for 1 bedroom places but I just think it is limited.  A young professional could still rent out a 2 bedroom unit and turn the 2nd bedroom into a office or get a roommate or something to that affect but a 3 person family couldn't rent a 1 bedroom unit.  Also, I would expect 1 bedroom units to have more turnover since it's so specific.  Personally, I don't think it should be a deal breaker on the deal but I would just make sure you do your due diligence.