Resurface versus retile a shower

Resurface versus retile a shower

Accountant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 312 posts · 349 votes

I've got a tile shower that is original to the house (so 1975) that really needs to be refreshed, the tile is not the best color and the groute is discolored or missing in places. I wanted to see what the BP community's take was on having the shower resurfaced versus having all the tile ripped out and replaced. Has anyone had experience with resurfacing? Was the cost truly a lot less than just replacing the tile and do you think it was worth it?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

@Kevin S. I've done it several times with my student rentals and it's worked out well. 

Much cheaper and will last quite some time (maybe 5-10 years?) as long as you have someone who does great prep work. Definitely would recommend erring on the side of hiring the more expensive company on this project. It all looks the same when it's done no matter who does it. But you won't know if they've done a good job until many years after they've cashed their check so make sure you use somebody who knows what they're doing.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin S. I've done it several times with my student rentals and it's worked out well. 

    Much cheaper and will last quite some time (maybe 5-10 years?) as long as you have someone who does great prep work. Definitely would recommend erring on the side of hiring the more expensive company on this project. It all looks the same when it's done no matter who does it. But you won't know if they've done a good job until many years after they've cashed their check so make sure you use somebody who knows what they're doing.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I have the same issue in my primary residence. I'm going to try to scrub down the grout; if I can make it look new enough, I'll resurface. I can't imagine resurfacing costs more than ripping it out. 

  • Accountant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 312 posts · 349 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the feedback @Will Gaston. What kind of price-point have you seen for resurfacing?

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin S. it's been awhile since I've done it but I believe a tub and the tile surround was around $700-$800? Sinks, floor tile, etc was more. 

  • Accountant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 312 posts · 349 votes
    7y

    @Will Gaston great, thanks for the info!

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
    7y

    Re-glazing tile relatively inexpensive. The binding primer is the most important element, so make sure to get several quotes and ask them about their process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.