Votes
Jon A.
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
First eviction in NC

Jon A.
  • Asheville, NC
Posted Oct 9 2018, 07:18

Hello BP community and thanks in advance for any responses. I have been a landlord for 10 years here in Asheville , NC and have just gone through my first summary ejectment. The tenant did not show up for court and I was awarded a judgement for two months rent at a total of $2200. The judge wrote in additional costs of $236 which I am assuming is court costs that I have paid. I was told I had to wait to file for a writ of possession and filed for that yesterday for a cost of an additional $55. I notified the tenant via text that I was coming over to inspect the property and I entered it yesterday before filing for the writ of possession. I believe the tenant has abandoned the property as all of their furniture is gone but there is food in the refrigerator and the power is still on . I am aware that some landlords would assume the tenant is gone and just enter the property and go about their usual business but I opted to go ahead and get the writ of possession simply to make sure I was going through all the correct legal steps. Upon entering the property, I noticed damage to the walls beyond paint. This unit was completely redone less than 6 months ago and the walls are plaster so the large hole in thee wall will need to be repaired and repainted. My question is how do I add that repair cost to the judgement? In the judgement summary it states rate of rent owed at $1100 per month for two months rent and then the additional cost of $236. But in the "total amount" section is says "n/a". I assume it means not applicable. This was written in by the judge. It is my understanding that a judgement in this state automatically becomes a lien against the person. So how do I make sure the lien is for the total amount of rent plus damages? Or is it simply too late to add the repair and the additional $55 for the writ of possession to the bill?

Loading replies...