Eric Maury
Pro Member
Votes |
Maximizing tax write offs

Eric Maury
Pro Member
Posted Nov 1 2018, 11:25

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. Recently had an offer accepted on a 3 unit in Jersey City, NJ. It's my 2nd investment property, and I now have 5 units. When I talked to my accountant, she discussed putting my portfolio under an LLC umbrella so I can take full advantage of the tax breaks and depreciation. Right now, as it is, I'm against the wall on the depreciation cap but do want to take full advantage of write offs for both of my properties. However, when I talked to my lender, I found out that trying to put the entire thing in an LLC would throw a huge wrench in my plans and the banks wouldn't offer me the same type of loan or down payment. So here we are... trying to creatively problem solve.

Wondering if anyone has approached this conundrum in another way. Are there any loop holes where a Property Management LLC can write off some of the expenses during tax time. I'm not out here trying to screw Uncle Sam, but definitely want to see if anyone has dealt with this issue and get some perspective.

Loading replies...