Tenant wants to bring foster dog home

Tenant wants to bring foster dog home

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

The tenant wants to participate in a foster dog program, where they would take dogs (only one a time) for a few weeks. They already have one dog (one that they own) and it's very well trained (I've been over there alone with it when doing repairs and it does not act up). I was thinking of charging an extra pet deposit and allowing this.

Are there any pitfalls in allowing this?

0
Topic locked
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
15y

Yes. Forgetting any damage the dogs may do; what if some psycho dog bites someone? Do you require that they carry liability insurance naming you as an additional insured? I require this of all my tenants. Not saying that you would end up having liability in the end, but lawyers tend to sue everyone within a 5mile radius and let them fight it out. It's the legal bills, not just actual liability.

1
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    15y

    Yes. Forgetting any damage the dogs may do; what if some psycho dog bites someone? Do you require that they carry liability insurance naming you as an additional insured? I require this of all my tenants. Not saying that you would end up having liability in the end, but lawyers tend to sue everyone within a 5mile radius and let them fight it out. It's the legal bills, not just actual liability.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Ocala, FL · Member since 2009 · 255 posts · 65 votes
    15y

    Guy i work with charges pet rent instead of a pet deposit.

    Instead of charging 250 pet deposit when people move in, he usually charges i think like 35 a month per pet. It fixes all sorts of problems and ends up yielding a higher return.

    As for a foster situation, i volunteered at a shelter for 2 years while in college (was head of adoptions doing about 20 placements a day)...about 50% of all fosters stay with the first people you stick them with.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y

    One girl I work with got involved with the foster program several years ago. They recently adopted the third dog from the program (how can you part with a dog after spending weeks with her?). And that doesn't count 8 puppies they took care of for 2 months and a number of dogs they kept for a number of weeks throughout all this years.
    What I am saying is it might start with one dog and look innocent...
    Plan for the worst.

    1
    Topic locked
  • SFR Investor · Member since 2011 · 198 posts · 61 votes
    15y

    Let me tell you about the house I purchased that I am working on right now... Their dog urinated on every spot possible in every room in the house! This did thousands of dollars in damage and no depost could ever cover this. 

    Even the best trained dog will have an occasional accident, I know because I have a dog but its my house. She once did her business in our walk in closet, it now has new hard wood floors and has been remodeled. 

    I have a strict no pets policy.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    I'm not anti-dog (like I said they already have one dog), but I'm leaning towards "no" now because I'm concerned that some of these foster dogs may have behavior problems (after all why are people getting rid of them in the first place?)

    thanks for the responses.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    I spoke to my insurance agent (who is a big dog person herself, incidentally) and she advised me in no uncertain terms not to allow this.

    I told the tenants "no" and it did not go over especially well. Sometimes being an LL seems to be about "stepping on people's dreams" but I guess that's just how it is.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    15y

    I am a big dog person myself. I really don't understand why all the young people want pets before they have their own home. Pets are almost as much responsibility as kids (if you are a responsible pet owner) and a long-term committment. Our little dog is 12. I can't take him to our winter home because pets are not allowed - so I can't spend the winter there. People need to think these things through.

    Pets can cause major damage.

    1
    Topic locked
  • SFR Investor · Member since 2011 · 198 posts · 61 votes
    15y

    I was just notified that one of my tenants is moving in 30 days, so I go over to check on the house to see what needs to be done to get it ready. I discovered that since the last time I was there two months ago the tenant brought in a boy friend that has a puppy that urinated all over my laundry room floor! Now I hope that it didn't get into the sub floor because that amount of work will exceed her deposit and it smells pretty bad even though they mopped it before I got there.

    She knew I had a strict no pets policy and brought the dog in anyway then looked for a new place because she knew I would kick them out.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Cheryl C.:
    I am a big dog person myself. I really don't understand why all the young people want pets before they have their own home. Pets are almost as much responsibility as kids (if you are a responsible pet owner) and a long-term committment. Our little dog is 12. I can't take him to our winter home because pets are not allowed - so I can't spend the winter there. People need to think these things through.

    Pets can cause major damage.

    Thanks. This is a small 2bdr house and there is already one big dog living there. I don't think they've thought this through.

    0
    Topic locked