Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 0 votes
If a garage door opener breaks, who should pay..The Landlord or the tenant? Thelease agreement states that the Tenant pays the 1st $100 of all repairs.....Would this apply to a garage door opener???
Real Estate Investor · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 1 vote
15y
In my opinion, the tenant would technically have to pay for the garage door opener breaking (accident or not) unless it was really old and banged up already when the landlord first gave it to the tenant. If landlord wants tenant to pay for it, then ask to make some kind of agreement of paying only half or third of the price of the opener not the whole amount for a spanking new one. :cool:
Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 6 posts · 0 votes
15y
Im going to have to say - Tentant is responsible, as long as it states in the contract. According to your post they are responsible to pay for damage up to the first $100.
If the remote with delivered in perfect working condition, then the tenant should be held responsible.
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 1 vote
15y
I am glad that I found such a great site where I am not alone with these kinds of things. This is why people have to read lease agreements very carefully before they sign them. A lot of people just want the property, and usually make sure the numbers and period are correct, and then just sign the bottom line. After all, how many people really read all 10 pages of fine print?
I just leased new office space last year, and it does clearly state on page 5 in the middle of the agreement that lessee is responsible for all system repairs like plumbing, electrical, and mechanical equipment. The water heater started leaking 6 weeks after I signed the agreement and flooded the bathroom. We had to pay for all of that, and there was nothing that I could do since it was in the agreement.
I will pay a couple hundred dollars the next time that I lease something for a good inspection, and it may not discover everything, but I will not worry as much. By the way, a hundred dollar deductible does not sound like a terrible deal, it is like an insurance deductible and lessors don't want to be hammered by petty items.
By the way, is it the actual opener or clicker? Clickers are really cheap and you can program them yourself. I was not clear on that.