Flood in condo. Santa Monica rules are killing me

2 Replies

I’m not sure if I want to vent or ask for advice...

My condo had a substantial flood on Thanksgiving, Nov 22, due to a main line pipe underneath the building getting backed up.

There is significant damage and the unit is unlivable. Per Santa Monica rules, I am required to provide similar housing for $165/day.

I required my renter to have renters insurance, however it’s only $1000 (my first mistake). 

Secondly, State Farm is taking their sweet time. The adjuster said there was only $3800 in damange but all of the bids I’m getting from contractors are between $15k-$20k. 

So, I’m fighting with State Farm. They have no urgency and each day that passes, I’m required by the city to pay $165/day to rehome my renter.

In addition, the pipe that broke is the responsibility of the HOA. They offered to pay the emergency plumber bill ($580) but say they won't pay for anything else.

I am out thousands on this. Any advice or words of encouragement?

Originally posted by @Julian L. :

I’m not sure if I want to vent or ask for advice...

My condo had a substantial flood on Thanksgiving, Nov 22, due to a main line pipe underneath the building getting backed up.

There is significant damage and the unit is unlivable. Per Santa Monica rules, I am required to provide similar housing for $165/day.

I required my renter to have renters insurance, however it’s only $1000 (my first mistake). 

Secondly, State Farm is taking their sweet time. The adjuster said there was only $3800 in damange but all of the bids I’m getting from contractors are between $15k-$20k. 

So, I’m fighting with State Farm. They have no urgency and each day that passes, I’m required by the city to pay $165/day to rehome my renter.

In addition, the pipe that broke is the responsibility of the HOA. They offered to pay the emergency plumber bill ($580) but say they won't pay for anything else.

I am out thousands on this. Any advice or words of encouragement?

My buddy spent a year and a half fighting a kitchen fire claim. The insurance company wouldn't budge, he wouldn't budge. What is your time worth?

It sucks but you'll have to appeal the decision with State Farm.

Why are you even filing a claim? If the pipe is the responsibility of the HOA, their insurance should be paying all of these costs.