Renting to an evicted person, now on HUD?

Renting to an evicted person, now on HUD?

Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes

Hi all, 

I currently have a 3 bed 1 bath apartment in a C or C- neighborhood that we're trying to get rented out. I'm realizing why people say it's harder to rent in the winter. Well I have an applicant who has evictions (2) on her record, one from 2012 and one from 2017. Normally that would be end of discussion, we don't rent to evictions. However she is now on a HUD program that pays for 90% of her rent, not Section 8 (or HCV as it is really named), but a similar program.

So my question is this: If an applicant meets your other standards, but fails the eviction standard, but now has the government flipping the bill for most (or all) of their rent, do you make an exception?  

I'm pretty sure the answer will be 'No', but I wanted to gather thoughts and opinions on this. 

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Michele FischerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

If an applicant has an eviction on their record, that means that when things go south, they are not going to vacate, they are going to hang on to the bitter end.  When things go south, your top priority is getting possession back so you can move on and get back to cash flowing.

Having a section 8 voucher may make it less likely that things will go south, but housing authorities won't help you get her out.  

We give a lot of second chances, but not on evictions.  Especially with one so recent.  That means the applicant has repeatedly and recently forced a landlord to take additional time and expense to get them to move on.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    You are correct the answer is NO.

    Once you have established minimum standards you do not work to find exceptions. Evictions are an indication of attitude. They have said to their landlord.. s**ew you if you want me out evict me. When a tenant does not moving out when required they are no longer tenant worthy. Ever.

    No landlord should ever choose to work with any individual that has that attitude, it will be reflected in every aspect if your interaction with them. They have contempt for landlords. 

    Let a hobby landlord with no standards rent to them.

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S. I always appreciate your opinion. Thank you for bringing me back to reality.  

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If an applicant has an eviction on their record, that means that when things go south, they are not going to vacate, they are going to hang on to the bitter end.  When things go south, your top priority is getting possession back so you can move on and get back to cash flowing.

    Having a section 8 voucher may make it less likely that things will go south, but housing authorities won't help you get her out.  

    We give a lot of second chances, but not on evictions.  Especially with one so recent.  That means the applicant has repeatedly and recently forced a landlord to take additional time and expense to get them to move on.

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    A resounding no.   Two evictions is a pattern. I rent to section 8 and if they have one eviction I won’t rent to them even if the voucher will pay 100% because it’s a mindset.

    Yes winter time is harder to rent.... especially in cold weather environments....I deal with that in Cleveland and the tenant pool is very slim at this time of year. However do not make the mistake of settling for that tenant.... you will pay for it most likely this year when you have to evict them because they damage the property ..... disturb the neighbors ..... don’t cut the grass.....don’t shovel the sidewalk ....... run up your water bill....I could go in and on.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Donald S.:

    Hi all, 

    I currently have a 3 bed 1 bath apartment in a C or C- neighborhood that we're trying to get rented out. I'm realizing why people say it's harder to rent in the winter. Well I have an applicant who has evictions (2) on her record, one from 2012 and one from 2017. Normally that would be end of discussion, we don't rent to evictions. However she is now on a HUD program that pays for 90% of her rent, not Section 8 (or HCV as it is really named), but a similar program.

    So my question is this: If an applicant meets your other standards, but fails the eviction standard, but now has the government flipping the bill for most (or all) of their rent, do you make an exception?  

    I'm pretty sure the answer will be 'No', but I wanted to gather thoughts and opinions on this. 

     No. Evictions should be a non negotiable at all times. Scarlet letter for life!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    It's not just that they don't pay their rent (as if that wasn't enough), but generally when they are that irresponsible they don't take care of your property either. I never hear stories like; boy, that person I just evicted sure did leave a spotless unit when they were finally kicked out. No damage, very clean, no items or junk left behind...

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Wick:

    It's not just that they don't pay their rent (as if that wasn't enough), but generally when they are that irresponsible they don't take care of your property either. I never hear stories like; boy, that person I just evicted sure did leave a spotless unit when they were finally kicked out. No damage, very clean, no items or junk left behind..

    Good Point Anthony. We've decided to decline her. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.