Tenant moved in her boyfriend and I want him out.

13 Replies

I Rented a house to a lady with three kids back in August. Only she was screened, therefore only her name is on the lease. In September she moved her boyfriend into the house. I didn't have a problem with it until they were unable to provide proof of employment for him. I did get a copy of his license, which has the rented house as the address and issue date in September. So now I want him out. FYI the house is in PA.

Thoughts?

@Ben Morris

I understand what you are saying .Why not add him to the lease? is there a particular problem you have with the guy . Does he have a criminal history is he a loser . Sometimes having an extra adult can be a benefit to the landlord especially if the main person is laid off or can't find work .

@Ben Morris . Is there damage to your property? Are they still paying rent? If the answer is no and yes, let it be. Not worth the headache of a headache

@Ben Morris The answer here may not be so clear cut because of your comment that you “didn’t have a problem with him moving in until they couldn’t provide proof of employment for him.” It sounds like he moved in back in September and now it’s December and you want him out. Is that about right?

If so, that could be a problem. For example, in my state (like most), if a tenant moves someone in who’s not on the lease without the landlord’s permission, the landlord has the right to issue a Cure or Quit notice and force the tenant to remove the person or face being in violation of the lease and possible eviction (provided the lease prohibits unauthorized occupants from residing there).

On the other hand, if someone moves into the property with the landlord’s permission, they establish the right to occupy the property - even if they’re not named on the lease. That’s the reason police won’t kick someone out if you call them and they just tell you “it’s a civil matter”, because it is. If they had permission to be there, and now you no longer want them there, you generally would have to go through a formal eviction process to have them removed. And in this case, it sounds like from what you wrote, that the boyfriend had your permission to be there initially and now you’ve changed your mind. If that’s the case, it may not be as simple as just asking or telling him to leave. You might have to evict him. 

Just something to be aware of as you consider your options. If everything else is going okay and the rent is otherwise being paid on time, you might be better off working with the tenant to get the boyfriend added to the lease and avoid a costly eviction and vacancy.

Originally posted by @Ben Morris :

I Rented a house to a lady with three kids back in August. Only she was screened, therefore only her name is on the lease. In September she moved her boyfriend into the house. I didn't have a problem with it until they were unable to provide proof of employment for him. I did get a copy of his license, which has the rented house as the address and issue date in September. So now I want him out. FYI the house is in PA. 

Thoughts?

What you are doing is worrying about staying dry after you've already jumped in the pool.

Prior to putting people into our properties we do our best job at screening them. We do this to mitigate the risk of loosing money. We loose money when the rent doesn't get paid.

Where you are at it doesn't make sense to go to war with these people. What is that going to solve? They are already in the property paying rent. You don't want him in there, why? Because you feel like he'd be someone who doesn't pay rent. Understandable position but by forcing him & his paying G/F out now all you are doing is taking your current income stream & tossing it away. Nothing worse than guaranteeing you loose money.

@Ben Morris

The way to have the boyfriend out, is to have everybody in the house out, or everybody in the house stay.

It won’t work that one out and one stay.

Think about, do you prefer both stay or both out?

@Ben Morris It sounds like this might not be worth worrying about. My primary concerns are collecting rent and making sure that the property isn't damaged. Other than that, best not to sweat the small stuff.

Regardless of why you want him out it is your decision and yours alone.

Unfortunately as some have eluded to you have likely waited too long. September to December is a long time for you to decide you do not want him and during that time he became your tenant regardless of whether he is on the lease like it or not. At this point unless he is doing something in violation of the lease you will not be able to get rid of him until the lease ends. At that time you non renew and get rid of all of them. 

also keep in mind if this is C to D class I would say that 80%or better of your tenants are women.. then the men just follow along.. at least in my experience in the asset class.. kind like papa was a rolling stone..

I would just go through your normal screening process with the boyfriend and if he meets your rental criteria, just add him as an occupant to the lease. As some of the others have said, if you're still getting rent I don't see the problem.