Buying with tenants in place....duplex

5 Replies

Everyone,

I've got my first deal on the radar. It's a duplex with both sides currently rented out. One side has a leased signed until 12/31/11. The other side has the tenant on a month-to-month lease.

This being my first deal, I really want to buy the property and occupy one side and rent the other. I would like to do this with the standard FHA financing. Is it ok to purchase the property under the terms that I close when the month-to-month tenant leaves? How hard do you think it would be to convince the seller to not renew the MTM lease so I can occupy one side and get FHA financing?

Is this ethical and legal?

What are your thoughts?

MTM lease requires 30-day WRITTEN notice. You gonna have to do it yourself once closed. It is both ethical and legal.

I can't imagine that the current owner would be willing to kick out a good MTM tenant to make his property eligible for an "owner occupant" buyer and 3.5% down FHA financing. He has no assurance that you could/would actually close on the transaction. His property is probably worth more with good tenants in place.

That's what I was thinking. If I was selling, I'd be concerned that I kicked out a tennant and then the buyer i did this for can't close...

I recently bought a fourplex under VA financing and had this same exact issue. With my initial offer I had attempted to get the owner to pass a 30 day notice tp one of the tenants. He returned the offer and one of the changes was that he had refused to pass any of his tenants a 30 day notice. I could easily see why anyone would refuse to do this..

I believe you have 60 or 90 days to occupy the unit under FHA financing so just make sure to serve a notice to vacate quickly upon acquiring the property.

Maybe try offering a higher EMD along with this condition to entice the seller?

Just go through the legal procedures.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here