Wall Colors for Rental Units

45 Replies

I grab a color that goes with the flooring and age/style of the property from my shelves and shelves of mistints I've purchased over the years. I'd bet my 84 bedrooms are 60 different colors.  

Doing an exterior?  Got those, too.  Mixed a bunch of similar bases together and painted a whole home exterior for $60 last year.

Next time you're at HD or Lowe's, check out the mis-tint rack. Quality paint, stains, cabinet and counter top resurfacing all dirt cheap.  I haven't stood in line getting paint mixed or paid retail for coatings in 12 years.

This efficiency kitchen was painted with a $9 mistint and flooring re-done with remnant floating vinyl.  All-in for $59.

Originally posted by @Alex R.:

@Steve Vaughan yes sir I will do just that and keep my eye out for those. In regards to kitchen cabinets for small kitchens, got any tips on where to finds those?

Sometimes the Habitat for Humanity store has cabinets and cupboards.  Also boxes of laminate and tile for small jobs.

I use Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter on all of my rental properties. It’s a “griege”, looks great with most flooring - can lean toward grey or beige depending on lighting and furnishings.  I use it for the entire house. And white ceilings and trim. 

And although I’ve never done this in a rental property, but do it in my flips,  painting the interior doors a color on the same color strip, but a little darker, can really give the property an upgraded appearance for no additional cost.

@Mark Fries    That sounds like my dad and his sprayer. Once left for lunch came back to a white tool pouch.. "I told you get everything away from the walls"

Anyways we use a mix of off whites. We get large lots of paints from bigger contractors for free. They even deliver. These pics are from last June.  They delivered over 400 gallons. Already used over 100 of it. We mix up 40 plus gallons at a time pump it back into the pails and label it.

Haven't bought paint in a long time. We the exception of when a local supply house switched brands. I bought 200 gallons for about 800 bucks. I had that all tinted to a specific off white. 

If you have stained wood work be careful some of these schemes will not work. I used that kilm biege with dark woodwork in one room and even my 20 something said it looked bad and he never comments.

@Alex R. Sherwin Williams has a color called Revere Pewter that is my go-to, it's a mix between a light grey and a light beige and looks great with white trim in any house or apartment.

Originally posted by @Peter B. :

@Mark Fries    That sounds like my dad and his sprayer. Once left for lunch came back to a white tool pouch.. "I told you get everything away from the walls"

Anyways we use a mix of off whites. We get large lots of paints from bigger contractors for free. They even deliver. These pics are from last June.  They delivered over 400 gallons. Already used over 100 of it. We mix up 40 plus gallons at a time pump it back into the pails and label it.

Haven't bought paint in a long time. We the exception of when a local supply house switched brands. I bought 200 gallons for about 800 bucks. I had that all tinted to a specific off white. 

And I thought i was doing well with 80+ gals @$7-$10 Per.  Well played, sir. Well played.

@Alex R.

It probably won’t effect your bottom line too much, but I would suggest earthy tones in beige/tan over grey.

More furniture seems to go with that scheme from my experience renting and flipping.

I really like clay figurine from sherwin William's ace hardware line. Its beige with grey undertones so it looks great with everything. I've used it in a couple live in flips and most recently in a newly purchased rental and its looked great in all of them.

To break up the "all one color" look, I'll paint the hallway/stairway/entry way or some other small "transition" area between rooms a different color like white etc...depends on the house layout but it helps break up the monochromatic looks of every single wall being the exact same color.

Last one I did all the rooms were the same light gray color....but the stairway.... which had a very high ceiling ....which I never wanted to paint again.....ever....... I did in white and the entry way too. It just breaks up the monochromatic blah that you can get when everything is exactly the same.

I'll be the oddball out and say I use more than two colors.

I go with sw unusual grey, requisite grey and argos for rooms. Then I use the sw Olympic white for bathrooms, cabinets and trim.

I use the same colors in all the houses so I buy it in bulk. Not 200 gallon bulk like a previous poster was mentioning. That would take me forever to go through.

Last year I got a lot of comments from potential renters commenting on how much they liked the paint and they really liked that it wasnt just plain white like they usually see.

I obviously can't guarantee it will help reduce vacancy but it helps my units stand out (in a good way)

@Alex R. Antique white everywhere. Matte finish. Gloss in the kitchen/bathrooms. It's the color typically sold by the big box hardware stores in 5 gallon drums. Rental units are NOT where you let out your Inner Rembrandt. Neutral neutral neutral. Let your long-term lease holders get creative if you don't mind three coats to cover it when they eventually leave. But cover it with some variation of antique white. Off-white with a small touch of yellow. White-white is too bright, the rooms will look like ice cubes. Most other colors will clash with something and displease somebody. Antique white has a warm, welcoming look, that nobody really loves or even notices, but nobody dislikes it or finds it distasteful. Nobody will whine that it clashes with their furniture.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here