Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Tenant Does not want to allow me to do mold repairs , advice?

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Feb 13 2019, 13:53

Hey BP!

An update from an earlier post. But for those just joining, long story short...

Tenant puts a work order in for leaking sink Dec. 13th, 2018 PM takes a few weeks just to get it done, (PM had informed me it was being taken care of sooner than that though) Jan 17th, I have PM do a visual inspection due to tenant reporting mold. As soon as I find out about the mold I have a some restoration companies go out and get me an estimate and repair. Filed it on my insurance, because just the tear out is about $3500, I don't even have the estimate from the GC to build it all back. so it's a $2400 dollar deductible and tenant is wanting to move out March or April when her lease is up September this year. So issue number 1, can I take this to civil court to get my deductible back and lost rents from the PM?

Now on the tenant, I have got an estimate from mold mitigation company, a go ahead from my adjuster to start repairs this Friday but the tenant is refusing to go to a hotel while repairs are being done unless its an emergency. I am trying to be civil about this matter but tenant is threatening going legal because of the Pm taking awhile to remedy the repairs and the mold. Coincidentally enough, her daughter is sick, while tenant states daughter has been sick awhile, I feel like if the tenant could use that against me.  Should i just allow the tenant out of her lease and take this up with the property manger?

Any advice helps please!! This situation sucks!!

Loading replies...