Advice on how to handle house cleaning after tenant turnover

Advice on how to handle house cleaning after tenant turnover

Clovis, CA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 0 votes

My current tenant is about to move out, and I'm not sure how to go about the move out process. The tenant before him broke his lease early so I just kept his security deposit, and had someone professionally clean the carpet and deep clean the entire house. That cost me about $1k.

This tenant has been great, and has been there for 3 years.  I'm not sure how to handle the cleaning this time around. I re-read the lease agreement I used and the language is fairly generic:

"This deposit money minus any necessary charges for

missing/dead light bulbs, repairs, cleaning, etc., will then be returned to TENANT with a written

explanation of deductions, within 60 days after they have vacated the property."

I'm planning on replacing the downstairs carpet myself and eat the cost, because when he moved in it wasn't in great condition, and its time to replace it anyway. But the rest of the carpet/house? Should I require him to have it professionally cleaned?

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Michele FischerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

If they have been a great tenant, give them the benefit of the doubt and don't nickel and dime them.

A grand for turnover costs when there is no chaos seems way too high to me.  Unelss it is a lot of square footage I'd look for cheaper options.

My lease requires that they leave a receipt for professional carpet cleaning or we can charge them, but usually we have to replace the carpet from pet damage.  

Unless a tenant doesn't stay a year, we expect costs and don't sweat it.  We allocate 5 hours of cleaning for each year of tenancy and don't charge unless it is well over that.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Neil Hunter Ideally your lease should say what condition they should leave the unit in. You cannot charge for normal wear and tear. So I don't think cleaning after three years would hold up in court as a legitimate deposit deduction. On the other hand trash, furniture etc that needs hauling away would be an reasonable expense. 

    Most states have strict laws on how security deposits are to be handled. In MD there is triple damages to tenant if handled wrong.  California is a very tenant friendly state.  I would make sure to look up the laws regarding security deposit to make sure you handle it appropriately.

  • Steven ApontePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I've seen/done both -

    If the tenant leaves the place in broom swept condition, and doesn't have any serious damage, then I don't hold back any security. I consider turnover costs part of my incentive to do right by the tenant to keep them there as long as possible. Otherwise, if they wreck the place, get pro cleaning (with a receipt) and withhold from security deposit.

    I've also seen owners charge a standard move out/turnover fee. Typically that's disclosed in the lease upfront though. 

    It all depends in part on your market and what you agree to upfront.  Hope that helps some 

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If they have been a great tenant, give them the benefit of the doubt and don't nickel and dime them.

    A grand for turnover costs when there is no chaos seems way too high to me.  Unelss it is a lot of square footage I'd look for cheaper options.

    My lease requires that they leave a receipt for professional carpet cleaning or we can charge them, but usually we have to replace the carpet from pet damage.  

    Unless a tenant doesn't stay a year, we expect costs and don't sweat it.  We allocate 5 hours of cleaning for each year of tenancy and don't charge unless it is well over that.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Just a note to Michele Fischer's response: I know in Wisconsin specifically that carpeting cleaning cannot be charged to the tenant even if stated in the lease. So some of those specifics to your state will matter on how you handle things. (I see that this response is wayyyyyyyyy late from 2019 discussion)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.