Newly renovated soundproofing mistake

5 Replies

I just recently bought my first multifamily. It’s from 1900 so I gutted it to nothing and re-did everything but the exterior framing and floor joists. I am an owner occupied and I just rented it for the first time for great money, but I can hear every footstep. I used cellulose dense packed insulation and 5/8 drywall. The upstairs has the original pine flooring but I went over that with the stc rating underlayment and a vinyl plank flooring. I have everything brand new,but I can’t still hear every footstep. I can’t hear any tv or conversations. Is there anything I can do?

It's pretty rare to have complete soundproofing between levels. Get used to it or find another home.

We have a 3' 1/2 or so space between our upstairs and downstairs units in one building. R30 on the ceiling of the downstairs and sheet rocked. Floors upstairs were redone, with new 3/4" plywood. People don't hear TV's or talking, but they hear footsteps. As one tenant said- that comes with living in a building.

The apartment complex where I live put a carpet on the floor of the apartment above mine and the noise has been reduced substantially. Because the building is old (40 years), the floor creaks when people walk on it, but conversations and speaker noise are muted (when the speakers are off the floor and not loud enough to be blaring).

My first neighbor didn't have this carpet and the noise was enough to make me consider moving elsewhere. This neighbor also had lifestyle issues and was non-renewed after being notified on several occasions by the apartment manager to keep his noise down.

Foam earplugs are wonderful when you need to get a good night's sleep. They can be bought at a variety of stores. I've also seen "sound machines" advertised at places like Walmart that are supposed to help block out unwanted noise, but I've never tried one.

Many ordinances require carpet on second floors due to the exact reasons you're experiencing. If you put a vinyl floor in then a sound proofing barrier should have been part of the installation whether it was a glue down or floater. Best pad type I've seen on the market is Omnichoice from Healthier Choice. Has a 71+ rating for all hard surface except ceramic when it drops to the 50's