User Stats

Votes
Gil Amram
Votes |
A question about temporary subletting

Gil Amram
Posted Mar 14 2019, 06:29

Hi,

I have a Landlord questions regarding a roommate situation (young couple) and a request for temporary subletting.

They are an early 20's female couple/partners who moved in from out of state because one of them have found a job with a very large and known company. The other one was planning to get a job after moving in. The one with the job (which was verified by me) had enough income to cover income/rent ratio, and the other one had good previous employment history (verified by me as well) but no current earnings.

Between then and now the second tenant told me she found a job, so as of now they are both employed (to the best of my knowledge)

About a couple of months later, the 1st tenant told me that her work place give their new employees an opportunity to rotate between sites for 3 months at a time, and that she would like to try that, and asks if it will be possible to have someone else stay instead of her for these 3 months during the summer. She suggested that she and her partner attempt to find the replacement, and once they do they will refer her to me so that I can do my own vetting as I do with any prospective tenant.

I have told her that this is something that we can do, but that I will discuss specifics with her at a later date (I was getting ready to head out for a big trip)

I did start to have some second thoughts about my answer. My ultimate consideration was this: It is best for me to try to accommodate, while making sure I am covered as reasonably possible, rather than simply say "no" and end up with a resentful tenant.

I guess my question is, what stipulations should I insist on going forward with this? I know that there are the considerations if this arrangement is to go forward, but I know that once roommate changes start to happen, things can change and situations that I cannot foresee can arise.

I welcome any tips or thoughts on the matter,

Thank you

Loading replies...