Tips for Decorating a Rental Bedroom

3 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased my first property! My plan is to live in one room and rent out the other 3 bedrooms in the house.

My question is what would you guys recommend I add to the bedrooms to spruce them up? I am trying to add value (to command a higher rent), but also not pour too much time or money in as this is an investment and not my personal room.

I have hardwood flooring in all rooms and am going for a contemporary look so as too appeal to young professionals. 

I have the required furniture which is as follows:

1. Bedframe
  2. Mattress
  3. Nightstand
  4. Lamp
  5. Table 
  6. Chair

Additional Stuff:

1. Artificial Plant 
  2. Small desk sculpture
  3. Wall Picture (something neutral like a landscape)
  4. ....

Let me know if I am missing something on either my core (required) or Additional Stuff list. If it helps, I live in Colorado so most people like the outdoors here.

Regards,

Carson

Will they be long or short term room rentals? For long term, I wouldn’t add anything extra  - renters will want to decorate their own space. If short term, some artwork would be nice, but otherwise, I’d  recommend practical items like a USB charger port, maybe some books, desk lamp, blackout curtains, maybe a fan.

Update on this. The rentals are going amazing! I ended up on settling with the basic stuff. Two have signed for a year and the other just signed another 3months. IKEA, FB Marketplace, and Amazon have been invaluable.