Renter Asked to Board Up Fireplace

Renter Asked to Board Up Fireplace

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I recently had a renter ask me if it's possible to board up the fireplace, as it will not be used. SFH, wood fireplace. They would like to put some furniture in front of it. Should I have any concerns?

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    They can block it by putting something in front of it or a piece of plywood held in place by a piece of furniture, but I wouldn't nail boards to the  fireplace.

  • Investor · Tallmadge, OH · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    Is it drafty? They can cut a piece of insulation and place it under the damper. I wouldn’t let them nail boards over it either.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I don't mind doing it myself and I would actually prefer it like that. I could have a piece of plywood nailed to a wood box frame installed in the opening, to hold it in place. Paint it in the same color of the fireplace, so it should look quite neat overall. Also, by using screws, it should be pretty easy to take it down in the future.

    Now I'm just thinking if there would be any legal, insurance, etc, issues with this.

  • Investor · Tallmadge, OH · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    Or you could just install doors, which would help with draftiness, and be an attractive permanent solution. If you seal it off completely and tell your insurance company it’s non-functional, you might even save a few bucks on insurance costs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.