How to split the utility bills

How to split the utility bills

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I want to buy a property in Granada Hills California, which it has two separate houses (4/2 and 3/3, but only one address and meters.  If I rent the two property (or if I live in one) how do I split the utility bills?

Before I make an offer, how can I find out what is the total monthly utility bill?

Please help me to calculate if it is a good deal or not.

0Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Usually, this type of arrangement spells disaster. You could include utilities into your price but then run the risk of them abusing that. Then if you try to split the bills one tenant might complain about the other using more. There is no win here, just a rolls of the dice. 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 216 posts · 110 votes
    7y

    If the property is listed by an agent, you might be able to ask and get a range. But in reality, asking may not always result in answers. I would suggest conservatively factoring utility costs in your budget.

    Regarding how to split the utility bills, I would suggest paying for it yourself and budgeting that into your potential rent. There are creative ways to "split" the bills (for example, each occupant pays a proportionate share, so if there is 1 occupant for each room in your property, then the 4/2 pays for 4/7 of the water bill and the 3/3 pays for 3/7 of the bill). However, to do this with 2 units may be challenging to monitor and enforce indefinitely.

    Once you feel comfortable enough, you may be able to make a contingent offer that allows you to back out during your due diligence period.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 307 votes
    7y

    In my part of California, a 2 unit (or 2 home) property with only one meter is a red flag that one of the units/houses is not permitted. For example, if I own a huge lot with only one house, I can build another house on there if I want. But getting permits for it, especially if you make the mistake of building it first before worrying about getting permits, can cost a LOT of money, so some people just don't do it.  And my understanding (I could be wrong about this though) is that utility companies will not put multiple meters if the property is not recorded as a multi-unit or multi-home property, which is why only having one meter is a red flag for this. Unpermitted additions are not the end of the world, but you should understand the implications.

    I'm not saying this is the case here, but you should definitely take a close look at the permits, zoning, and recorded property description if you are genuinely interested in this property.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    You get a submeter installed just before the supply wire to the electric panel of the second dwelling . You read the meter and then do the math

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.