Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Langdon
  • Accountant
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Raise Rent to Market or keep good Tenant?

Nathan Langdon
  • Accountant
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted May 2 2019, 20:03

I just closed on a duplex in April using FHA financing to do a house hack. The market rent for each of the units (both 3 bedroom + 2 full bath) is approximately $900 each. I have inherited the tenant living on the other side, and on a month to month lease. She is a great tenant with only one college aged daughter and no pets. This tenant has been in the unit for 10 years and never had any problems. She also keeps the unit very clean, so I really want to keep her.

However, her rent is much lower than the market rate. She started out at $725, and only two years ago got raised to $775. So I’m looking at hitting her with a $125 increase if I want to get the market rate for the unit.

My question is this: should I raise her to $900 and risk loosing a long term steady tenant or should I discount it by only raising to $850 and more likely keep her.

I’m brand new at this so any advice is welcome. I will be putting together a new 12 month lease for her to sign this month, so any thoughts about that are also welcome. Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...