Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Aaron C., so you're currently in the duplex? Can you share all the numbers? You need to determine if this will make a good investment property once you move out.
If it's at FMV, there's really nothing you can do with duplex. You won't get your money back on any renovations / improvements.
Paying only $200/month to live is pretty great. That allows you to save money for another deal, while building equity and gaining land-lording experience.
As far as next steps, you can consider doing another house-hack. This time find a larger property with value-add opportunity. Or find an equity partner and go after bigger deals.
Rental Property Investor · Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 2 votes
7y
@Jaysen Medhurst currently in the first year in the duplex, PITI $1500, one unit rented out for $1295, I can get $1200 for the unit I occupy in rental income obviously I didn't count vacancy repairs and cap ex in the post, but it is accounted for.