Scaling Up from a house Hack

2 Replies

Curious to get this answer from you guys,

starting out house hacking a duplex, house at about 165k at market value with a an FHA loan

Paying about $200 out of pocket in PITI

Being that the house is at market value already I don’t see a way to force equity ( any ideas??)

The end goal is about $1500-$2000 passive income monthly.

In this situation what ways would you guys try to make this happen? Looking for any ideas or strategies!

@Aaron C. , so you're currently in the duplex? Can you share all the numbers? You need to determine if this will make a good investment property once you move out.

If it's at FMV, there's really nothing you can do with duplex. You won't get your money back on any renovations / improvements.

Paying only $200/month to live is pretty great. That allows you to save money for another deal, while building equity and gaining land-lording experience.

As far as next steps, you can consider doing another house-hack. This time find a larger property with value-add opportunity. Or find an equity partner and go after bigger deals.

@Jaysen Medhurst currently in the first year in the duplex, PITI $1500, one unit rented out for $1295, I can get $1200 for the unit I occupy in rental income obviously I didn't count vacancy repairs and cap ex in the post, but it is accounted for.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here