General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly M.
Votes |
Evict or stay? Alcoholic 60 year old woman who is harm to herself

Kimberly M.
Posted May 24 2019, 19:06

Hi, I'll try to keep this short. We have had a 60 year old single female renter since 12/18. We have since found out that she is an alcoholic. Most recently, she was drunk and was yelling out the window that she was locked in a bedroom. We have no locks on the bedroom doors. She tried kicking the door outward- toward the hallway which is where the wood is located to stop the door. When she kicked the door, she jammed the door into the wood frame. All she had to do was pull the door toward her to get out but she was too drunk. She was vomiting & shaking. I called 911. We saw blood on her bed and throughout 2 bedrooms. She stated she fell the day before and busted her head on her dresser. She stated she fell down the steps previously. She has ruined numerous balusters from hanging onto them instead of the hand railing going down the steps. The house was messy with mail & clothes all over the floor, etc. She signed a 1 year lease stating that she has 2 dogs, when in fact, she has 3.  I'm guessing the dogs may have had some accidents in the house with the new carpeting since she is intoxicated and can't get up. We have pics of when she threw a bunch of whiskey bottles and carpeting out into the alley in front of the garage for the garbage men to pick up days later. I am terrified that we will find her terribly hurt or dead someday. Her heavy drinking is a daily occurrence. We chose her because we saw the sadness in her eyes. She went through some rough things and it sounded like she just needed a new start in life with hope. We weren't initially aware of her drinking. She is on autopay and also pays us to mow the grass. We haven't ever had a problem with rent. Should we send her a warning letter? Should we just wait and not renew her lease? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Loading replies...