Who do I put on the lease Husband or/and wife?

8 Replies

Hi,

So, I have a couple that is about to rent our house and she has sufficient income and has been verified. Though, the husband's income is much less, should I have both on the lease or just the wife?

Our leases call for anyone in the family unit 18 years or older are named as tenants on the lease.  Under 18 are minors listed as occupants.

Originally posted by @Marc Winter :

Our leases call for anyone in the family unit 18 years or older are named as tenants on the lease.  Under 18 are minors listed as occupants.

Would you have husband and wife sign the lease or just listed as additional habitants?

Both the husband and the wife should be screened and be on the lease. 

@Salomon W.

I do and recommend a very thorough screening including an application, credit check, criminal check and eviction check on everybody that will be living in the house and all persons, even the pet is named in my state compliant lease. No exceptions. If it all goes sideways and you need to evict, you will be glad it’s handled like that.

Good luck!

@Salomon W. - I agree with all above - you need anyone over the age of 18 on the lease and to vet them. 

We have had several people divorce mid-lease, having both people on the lease has done a couple of things for us:

1. When the remaining tenant was unable to pay the rent - the other tenant kicked in to help, even though they were not living there

2. It makes both of them think twice about what they are going to do since it effects both or them equally - it's not like "well he's on the lease so it won't effect me"