New property eviction question / advice

7 Replies

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are purchasing our first investment property (4-plex) that has a few minor repairs that are needed. However, due to us not having great funds to start out we need to do a 3.5% FHA loan and live in a unit. The current tenants are all month to month so this should pose no issue.

Upon walkthrough of the units there are two tenants that in my eyes must go due to the current living conditions they put themselves in (spliced an extension cord to install a chandelier above the kitchen sink draping it over the kitchen blinds). 

I'm new to this and have always been known as a big Teddy Bear. Any advice on how to thicken my skin for evictions? Books to read, podcasts to follow, words to say to the tenants to lessen the blow?

Keep in mind the situation above is just one item wrong with what the tenant is doing. I know I need to "Man Up" and deal with it but besides that.

Ps not asking for a friend. :)

Originally posted by @James Kirby :

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are purchasing our first investment property (4-plex) that has a few minor repairs that are needed. However, due to us not having great funds to start out we need to do a 3.5% FHA loan and live in a unit. The current tenants are all month to month so this should pose no issue.

Upon walkthrough of the units there are two tenants that in my eyes must go due to the current living conditions they put themselves in (spliced an extension cord to install a chandelier above the kitchen sink draping it over the kitchen blinds). 

I'm new to this and have always been known as a big Teddy Bear. Any advice on how to thicken my skin for evictions? Books to read, podcasts to follow, words to say to the tenants to lessen the blow?

Keep in mind the situation above is just one item wrong with what the tenant is doing. I know I need to "Man Up" and deal with it but besides that.

Ps not asking for a friend. :)

Take a look at this thread below & enjoy.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/530687-tenants-from-hell-2-tubs-and-showers-from-hell-pics-included

Originally posted by @Tim Herman :

@James Kirby hire a property manager and tell them to evict the tenants. You other option is to not get into rentals.

Hiring a PM to manage a property you live in? That's madness. I don't know any reputable PM that would take on a nonsensical project like that.

@James Wise  Thanks for the read it makes me feel a bit better about my decision.

@Tim Herman It's not that I cant or wont do what needs to be done, as stated in the question, is there anything that has helped you (or others) make this easier. Toughen your skin so to speak.

Originally posted by @Tim Herman :

@James Kirby In my early years I listened to tenant tales. Once you have to rehab a house that you rehabbed before the tenants moved in your perspective changes. This is a business so treat like it is. Don't be the landlord buddy, and get taken advantage. Read the blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/2013/01/27/tenant-screening/

Thank you sir. This will help. 

I wanted to post my findings here to help out the next investors that may be asking this same question(s).

1. The replies above are honest and very helpful. Please take the time to read thru them and the links they provided. 

2. This may be one of the hardest things you have to do as an investor to help protect YOUR investment. It may also be one of the easiest to do as well, if the situation is or gets bad enough.

3. Remember that your tenants are/should not be thought of as friends. Maybe more so as a great emploee that you enjoy working with and want to help within the guidelines of rules that are set (YOUR contract). Dont bend them or the others will expect the same and courts can also frown against it. Besides, do you like being taken advantage of? I dont. 

4. Since you view them as an employee you must set standards as to when to "train" them to perform the job duties (rules) that YOU made. If it's something simple document it in writing (follow your state/city) laws. If it's something that is a zero tolerance then follow through with the eviction. YOUR company will only be as successful as you train others to perform. Keep everything!!!

5. Notice I am using "YOU" and "YOURS" a lot. It's because nobody is going to care about you, your tenants, or your investment property as much as YOU should.

6. Ask questions, a lot of questions, maybe to several people for different takes on what you are looking at doing. The old saying is "There's more than one way to skin a cat". Everyone has their own way of doing things and there are so many successful people here, it's easy to find your answers or get someone willing to answer your question.

7. Thank Everyone. Even if you think their advice is trash, thank them and move on. Maybe later you'll end up using what they say or maybe it will remind you of what not to do. Everyone's time is worth money. They are kind enough to spend it with you, the least you can do is say Thanks.

Landlording on Autipilot by Mike Butler was an excellent read on this. When you treat your tenants as an employee and you care enough about your investments, you will care enough to do visits to the property and follow whatever step is necessary. You do what you can to get them "hired" into your property and it's their job to care enough to stay. Its your job to keep them there by taking care of your investment as necessary. A happy tenant is more likely to take care of your property than one you don't check in on or maintain. After all if you dont care why should they?

I hope this helps.