Inherited home with tenants

4 Replies

My parents gave me a rental home. My name is on the home now so I can manage the property.

The tenants my parents found has been on a month to month contract for 4 years no ow after their 1 year contract ended.

They have set up a tent to fix cars and my parents have gotten a complaint about them working past midnight. It was nothing major.

If I was to do a new contract, is their anything I can legally do about them fixing cars? Am I allowed to have a key for the shed they built if lease states landlord must have keys for all locks on property?

Can I put on lease they can not fix cars after a certain time? They state it's not a business but they fix cars for different people all day long.

@Stephen Akindona

I already did. My cousin is a real estate lawyer and said that they need a business license and insurance to work on other people's cars. They are claiming they don't need one because they are just helping friends and not making money off of it.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Put it in your new lease that there can be no business activities on the property (consult local rules of course.)

Also have a no structures allowed besides the property and specifically give them notice to remove the tent. 

If they want to be a mechanic they can go get a second job.  Your rental, your business.  Their business doesn’t occur on your property.