Tenant asks for guaranteed for safety of their major appliances

16 Replies

My tenant acquired a refurbished clothes washer in Jan. 2019. And it is broken now. She hired an appliance repairman not electrician to take a look and the repairmen said it's due to low voltage and damaged the washer.

So I hired an electrician to double check everything and the voltage and everything checked out very well.

Now the tenant in fear of replacing the new washer and it gets damaged again and now asks me to write her a guaranteed letter that the house electricity is perfect and won't harm her future washer. Or I will pay her the washer. Yes I require her to buy a brand new none refurbished unit.

Is this even right thing for me to do a guarantee letter? Any special clause or negotiation I need to do if I must?

Thank you!

I wouldn't write a guarantee letter. Tell her to buy it from a place where one can purchase an extended warranty. I bought an appliance from Lowe's and the extended warranty cost me like, $75 for five additional years. 

Now if something goes wrong she's off the hook and it will be repaired without her having to pay for it. It's not your job to guarantee her washer works. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

You could provide the tenant with a written copy from the electrician showing there is no problem with the home electric but do not provide a written "guarantee" because this sets you up for dealing with many problems that could be perceived as your fault. 

I had something similar happen at a rental I manage.  Appliance guy said it was an electricity issue, the electrician said that's bogus.

If you want to be extra careful, have a second electrician take a look at it.  Don't guarantee something that's beyond your control.

Like others have said, have them get one someplace that has an extended warranty.  

@Jay Chen don’t guarantee anything. Show her the electricians report. Ask for her report and then maybe get another inspector or third party involved if she really needs more proof. She bought a refurbished unit and her repairman could have been wrong/misdiagnosed the problem.

@Jay Chen don’t be afraid of your tenant. Tell her you have had the voltage checked and it is not because of that. You did not supply the appliance so there is no reduction in rent. It ends there.

For all you know her appliance guy could be the local barfly or the crook who sold her the appliance. I would never trust a tenant to contract a repair because of this.

Power surges are an issue with appliances, computers, they come and go having some one there when it surges can be difficult

, impossible.

I would get paper work from an electrician stating the electrical system checked out ok.

You could plug in a power surge protector on the unit but that may be admitting the system has issues.

I would not trust appliance repairman opinion on the matter.

You had an electrician come out to give his perspective, and everything checked out fine. At this point, it's on the tenant to buy a new washer. Like others have said, if you're worried about it, get a second electrician to check it out. 

Appliances fail.  No one can guarantee that they won't.  I wouldn't write her anything.  If she wants protection for her next washer, she should buy new and purchase an extended warranty.  It's not your job to guarantee her personal property.  That's beyond the scope of a landlord. 

I respectfully disagree that the "dueling report" scenario where you get your expert and she gets her expert  and they you get more experts will solve anything.  You should never "guarantee" anything.  In fact, I would go the other way IF you have tenants that purchase their own appliances,  have them acknowledge that your are specifically NOT responsible for provision of utilities like electricity.  But once you are in your situation, stop all discussion after giving her the "electrician's report that he checked the circuit and it is fine" and let her do what she wants - buy a new one, buy a used one, buy nothing and go to a laundromat.   

@Jay Chen No, strongly advise you don't write it. Ensure the lifecycle of appliance is not your responsibility. There's huge possibility that you will get trouble if you write a guarantee letter for her. Ask her to buy for a longer time guarantee for her appliances. 

You can show the electrician's report to her, and must report to her side. No matter whether she refuses or accepts it, she is looking for an electrician. Let the electrician announce the result. There's no problem with the electricity of your house. So if you issue any guarantees, it will be more effective. Maybe the problem is not big. You need to communicate with the tenant and be patient. 

Power surges and electrical fluctuations are caused the electric supply to the house by the power company.....tell her you have no responsibility for her appliances, that’s just life.

@Jay Chen

Thank you everyone for great inputs. Not a single person suggests to write so I told her no gursnteee and write a very nice email how much effort we have already spent on this.

She is asking for my electrician license number. What is she going to do with that?

@Jay Chen probably search the state registry for licensed electricians. Why dont You buy a used dryer and provide it? ...costs about the same as an electrician vist, $150. People sell electric dryers all the time when they move to a place that requires gas and vice versa. Or they move in with beau, move out of state or buy a matching set when washer breaks.