Terminated tenant "why you don't want an eviction" letter

15 Replies

Hello all,

I plan on terminating a tenancy on a subpar tenant.  However, there exists a possibility they will not leave willingly.  My thought is to include with the termination notice a form letter outlining the merits of leaving when the lease is up - things like, eviction on your record making it hard to get a job/apartment, credit consequences, collection agencies, etc.

Does anyone have such a letter that they use that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Originally posted by @Wesley W. :

Hello all,

I plan on terminating a tenancy on a subpar tenant.  However, there exists a possibility they will not leave willingly.  My thought is to include with the termination notice a form letter outlining the merits of leaving when the lease is up - things like, eviction on your record making it hard to get a job/apartment, credit consequences, collection agencies, etc.

At the top go to TOOLS and then check the FILEPLACE 

Alas, @Brie Schmidt - I did not see one there, which is why I am asking.  Did you have a particular file there in mind?

Originally posted by @Wesley W. :

Hello all,

I've found that filming your team throwing everything that the non paying tenant owns in the yard while it's snowing and putting it on YouTube for close to 1 million people to watch works pretty well as a deterrent.

I find having this talk in person is more effective. I just have a straightforward explanation that its harder to rent with an eviction than it is to be a felon. When i tried the letter/text route, it just got toxic and i had to evict anyway.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :
Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Wesley W.:

Hello all,

I've found that filming your team throwing everything that the non paying tenant owns in the yard while it's snowing and putting it on YouTube for close to 1 million people to watch works pretty well as a deterrent.

Also, technically those old timey evildoers that tie maidens to railroads are below us on the scum scale.

Out of a total of 23 tenants, I have two late tenants who both pay in pieces.  It takes a full month to get rent from them which sometimrs goes into next month.  I have had them for six years when I started buying foreclosures and was inexperienced and naive wanting to fill vacancies right away to enable myself to buy more properties.  I am lot more careful now and hire a realtor to find tenants.  I say no to many potential tenants untill they fulfill criterias of credit, job income, crime, and references.  Currently I am evicting one of the two late tenants because old habits never change.  They have told me so many excuses that I could publish a book.  Second late tenant will be evicted in a few months because I wanted to spread time between two evictions.  Both of them have given me so much hassle over the years in following up with them over rent, keeping account of rent owed, late fee, texting them, talking to them, it is cutting into my work and family time, that even late fee is not worth it.  One of them pays $200 late fee if rent goes into next month and most months she pays $200, a few times she paid $175 late fee when she paid by the 30th.  As a landlord and W2 employee, who wants to do other activieies, my time has value.  I woyuld recommend get rid of deadbeat tenants right away otherwise you will keep suffering for years like I did.

Originally posted by @Judy P.:

@James Wise

You crack me up. I love your videos. I could have used you team's muscle with my last welfare trash tenant!

Why thank you Judy. I appreciate that. Keep up the good work tossing out anyone who doesn't pay on time.

No pay = No stay.

I'm with @Account Closed , yes, for me, too, it's usually best to have the conversation in person. I should add that the conversation was had with ME over the phone when I was a tenant. The guy was no good at it, despite owning hundreds of units. I left without a hassle, but the situation hasn't worked out well for him since, and no, I'm not going to specify in what way. Inheriting Daddy's apartment buildings is nowhere near as good as inheriting Daddy's mental capacity.

[quote]I have never twirled my mustache and cackled after tying a maiden to the railroad.

[/quote]

You will need the Snidely Whiplash costume, and watch out for Dudley Doright. ;>)