Best strategies for attracting and screening tenants ?

Best strategies for attracting and screening tenants ?

Burbank, CA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes

Looking for recommendations and tips on best possible ways to market an investment property to potential tenants without having to use a property management company.

Once I attract tenants what screening process should I put them through in or to find the best possible ones out there? What qualifications should I be looking for aside from credit history?

Soon to be landlord looking for advice on my first investment rental property. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
7y

@Jeffrey Mata - I get the most rental inquires from Zillow.com and their syndication partner sites, as well as GoSection8.com (for those accepting vouchers). Pictures are king... Create a virtual walk-thru with high-quality pictures and video - showcasing the home's features and what makes it special. I'm not as focused on credit score alone, as I am income, job history, rental history, questionnaire responses, interview, etc... I've had too many great tenants with poor credit scores to let that be a primary determining factor for approval, but it does factor into what security deposit will be required.

Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    7y

    @Jeffrey Mata. Best Marketing is an attractive Sign in the yard of a Properly Priced Property that is in Excellent Condition. 

    If your property has those attributes, you should have a good deal of interest, which will allow you to be selective in picking a Tenant.

    Contact me off forum and I'll be happy to share my screening criteria. 

  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    7y

    @Jeffrey Mata - I get the most rental inquires from Zillow.com and their syndication partner sites, as well as GoSection8.com (for those accepting vouchers). Pictures are king... Create a virtual walk-thru with high-quality pictures and video - showcasing the home's features and what makes it special. I'm not as focused on credit score alone, as I am income, job history, rental history, questionnaire responses, interview, etc... I've had too many great tenants with poor credit scores to let that be a primary determining factor for approval, but it does factor into what security deposit will be required.

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Best marketing is an attractive sign in the yard of a property at the right price, in good condition.

    If your property has these attributes, you should have a lot of interest, which will allow you to selectively choose tenants.

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 179 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    As others have said, good marketing exposure (Zillow, FB marketplace), a sign in the yard, a good product (meaning the interior and exterior of the house) and a good, competitive price should lead to finding a renter quickly.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Best marketing websites, good pictures, and reasonable price of your property. After screening the tenants, you could have some own criteria for them and prepare some questions to ask, I'll say meeting in person before choosing your tenant. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    I'll post my listing on Craiglist, zillow and zumper and I got a lot of tenant leads from the. For screening, I would focus more on Credit score, rental history and criminal history. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.