Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ripple Shah
  • Jamesburg, NJ
Votes |
Prospective Tenant asking about SOTA voucher

Ripple Shah
  • Jamesburg, NJ
Posted Jul 11 2019, 11:44

My rental property is in NJ and in the rental market.  A prospective tenant reached out asking if I take the SOTA voucher to pay the rent for the entire year and pay any other fees upfront.  Doing a quick google search, I found out that it seems to be a form of an assisted living program.

My questions are:

1) Have you had a tenant that used this program to pay the rent?

2) Is it one check that you get before the tenant moves in for the entire year's rent?

3) Did you have any landlord/tenant problems?

4) Did you add the security deposit in the year rental cost?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Adzadi
  • Allentown, PA
Votes |
  • Allentown, PA
Replied Jul 12 2019, 19:56

@Ripple Shah

When I had put up my SFR for rent, a social worker called me up saying how she had a client who saw my advertisement and would like to rent it out. Yes, I believe the pay you for the whole year. With that notion alone, I was not interested. This means you have obligated this tenant into living in your property for a year. If you don't like how they are keeping your place or bringing unsavory characters to your property, you have no control over that because the program had already paid you for the year. It is easier to evict someone for none payment than for simple civil matters like noise complaints.

Let us say you were able to successfully kick out the tenant for whatever reason and they stayed there for only 6 months. The SOTA program will EXPECT you to return the rent money for the remaining 6 months that the tenant did not stay there. That means if the rent was $1K a month, you will be expected to return $6K.

For me, there are way too many caveats to these government programs and are more trouble than they are worth. I can evict a tenant paying cash more easily than a tenant in these programs.   

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 12 2019, 20:07

Lots of questions here on the mechanics of payments and the program.  I think this program will vary from one locality (state and county) to another.  Having said that, there are some landlords in DC who swear by rental subsidy programs.  There are also landlords in other areas who historically would refuse voucher folks because they felt they could not control who was living in their properties... on the other hand, years ago I knew a landlord whose very perfect tenants were a retired couple (man was disabled, woman was still able to work part-time at 68) and they were on a section 8 voucher program; the landlord wished all of his tenants were like them as rent was always on time, etc.  Again, you should ask questions.  If the property is damaged, what happens?  What is your gut feeling?  

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 12 2019, 20:15

Internet search shows this program is used in NYC and nearby to help people transition into stable living arrangements.  If you access this FAQ, maybe you can contact the office and ask for more details:  

https://www.newdestinyhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/NYC-SOTA-program-FAQ.pdf