Should I stick to formal letters instead of calls/texts?

8 Replies

Do your tenants respond better to an open CALL/TEXT relationship?

Or a FORMAL LETTER relationship!?!

Answer!!!

@Charlie Moore it depends on the purpose of the communication. For something like rent increases, I will send a written letter and e-mail a copy. If it is something simple like a repair request, then text is what we prefer for speed and convenience. 

For legal purposes in most states, mail or e-mail is considered written communications. Call or text are verbal communications. So if we want a written record we stick to snail mail and e-mail.

On thing to keep in mind is that tenants value convenience, so if you required everything via physical mail, it would be very painful to get anything done. We find phone and text is pretty fast and easy for resolving issues, so in most cases that is how we are communicating. Younger tenants are pretty much only text, due to their preference to texting versus talking on the phone.

Originally posted by @Charlie Moore :

Do your tenants respond better to an open CALL/TEXT relationship?

Or a FORMAL LETTER relationship!?!

Answer!!!

If you need the communication documented for court purposes then go with the letter. Everything should be email / text or phone.

Promotion
Jamestown Invest
Build a well-balanced portfolio with CRE
Considering CRE Investing?
Download this whitepaper and learn about CRE investing from a manager with a 38 year track record
Learn More

Most of my tenants are younger and prefer text for general communication/minor repair stuff - I usually only get a phone call when it's an emergency. Which is fine with me.

I send a letter for lease renewals or anything I need a physical copy of.

Originally posted by @Charlie Moore :

@James Wise

Well, aren’t those the only 3 options anyways? Haha

I guess the way I worded my response to you was written unclear. When you need to communicate with them for something that will be used in court such as an eviction then you need to do it with a formal letter or notice....Otherwise all other normal communications such as scheduling maintenance or letting them know things you don't need to go with the formal letter or notice. You should just be using text/email or phone. Whichever you prefer.