Are accountants are worth it? Change my mind.

Are accountants are worth it? Change my mind.

Rental Property Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 41 votes

While I greatly respect accountants, I want someone to explain why they're worth the fee for 90% of buy and hold investors. This year my refund was $3,800. My total tax prep fee was approx $4,200 (not unusual if you ask around at these real estate accounting specialists). A great accountant would probably catch every mistake and squeeze every tax benefit, but what's the point if the fee exceeds any of the tax benefits. Moreover, many real estate accountants increase their fee based on number of properties. 

Alternatively, I could use TurboTax, maybe I miss some claims and I only get a $2,000 refund, but the software is only $500. I come out ahead $1,500 instead using an accountant where I'm negative $300. Even if I pay for TurboTax audit protection, I'd still be ahead.

What am I missing?

2Reply
163 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Paying my accountant is the one thing I know will always yield me the highest ROI. Money well spent. I never ask about the fees or increase in it I see the value it brings to me.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Richardson, TX · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Philip Hy Measuring the value of your accountant by the size of your refund is the wrong way to look at.

    1. Your accountant should save you time and stress

    2. You should be able to get strategic advice from your accountant.

    3. As your business grows your return is going to get more complicated because you are going to layer in asset protection strategies. You’re accountant should be able to help you with that even if you also have to pay an attorney

    4. A good accountant can help you plan so you don’t over pay your taxes to begin with. Then your refund would be closer to zero

    If you’re not happy with the costs find another accountant. Real estate is a team sport and a good accountant is an important part of the team

  • Rental Property Investor · WA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    If you pay $4,200 for tax preparation and returns, I will say you need to provide us with more information. This is about six times the price I paid.

  • Real Estate Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    A lot of posts argue (understandably) that with CPA you eliminated errors. However, I have seen quite a few cases that somebody did tax with CPA and still got audited. And they still have the burden to prove. I am not arguing that CPA is not worth it, just to add some facts 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 893 votes
    7y

    @Philip Eide 

    I have a pretty complicated corporate return and my accountant only bills me $2500. Either your guy/gal is gouging you, doing a ton of bookkeeping work to prep your return, or your return is actually more complex than it seems. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 201 votes
    7y

    Price is what you pay, value is what you get. The price depends on them but the value depends on you. Set your needs and expectations and figure out how much you're willing to pay for it. Accounting is the language of business, so in every business, accountant is a must in order to grow. There's more use to an accountant other than preparing taxes, you know. 

    If you think you're not getting your money's worth, then you may want to consider other professionals that will give you the value you're looking for, but again you need to know your needs and expectations. I wish you the best!

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    7y

    I don't think there's any reason anyone here to change your mind. It's like asking I respect Property Managers, but if their fees exceed the cost of myself repairing the problems, what's the point of hiring them? Change my mind.

    Maybe you should go to a different accountant to see your options. If you are being charged consistently in the same range, then your returns are just that much difficult to deal with.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.