Breaking a lease with my tenant in Arizona.

Breaking a lease with my tenant in Arizona.

Flipper/Rehabber · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

I received a cash offer on my home in Tucson, AZ that I am ready to accept. However, the lease agreement I have with my tenant is not up until November of this year. Any advice on what I can/should do? 

I purchased this property in October of 2016 with an FHA loan. Will I receive any kind of penalties for selling too soon?

Thank you!

0Reply
7 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alex Cifelli:

    Hello,

    I received a cash offer on my home in Tucson, AZ that I am ready to accept. However, the lease agreement I have with my tenant is not up until November of this year. Any advice on what I can/should do? 

    I purchased this property in October of 2016 with an FHA loan. Will I receive any kind of penalties for selling too soon?

    Thank you!

    Unless there is a pre-payment penalty of 3 years or more on your loan, you should be fine.

    Short term capital gains are for 1 year or less so you should be fine for taxes.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 109 posts · 87 votes
    7y

    Yeah, like Mike said above, sounds like you'll be good to go. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    The lease would still be valid and the new owner would be taking it over. If you want to break the lease, then you need to work something out with the current occupant. Selling the house doesn't invalidate the lease, it's valid for its previous duration.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    7y

    Lease will still apply, the tenant will just send checks to new owner and you would probably need to figure out what exactly to do about the deposit. The tricky bit might be if the buyer requires unit to be vacant (required if FHA or VA loan), in which case, you could offer tenant cash to leave early.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cold Spring, MN · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Alex Cifelli

    If the buyer absolutely does not want tenants you could offer them cash for keys. Give them x amount to sign an agreement to break the lease.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you for taking the time to respond. This has helped tremendously! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.