Can you open an equity line or refinance a rental property?

Can you open an equity line or refinance a rental property?

Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 56 posts · 0 votes

I tried opening an equity line on my 4 bedroom san diego house and US Bank told me I could not because this house is a rental property. Is this true?

Does this mean I cannot refinance the house also because it is a rental property?

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
17y

While I have not tried I have heard a lot of lenders are not doing equity lines on investment properties - yes you can refi but a lot of lenders not doing the equity line.

But there is also a lot of info missing here - credit / LTV / DTI etc.....

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2008 · 100 posts · 6 votes
    21y

    I don't know about a linke of equity, but you can certainly refinance a rental property. Refinance and take some money out - almost as good as an equity line.

  • Member since 2008 · 45 posts · 0 votes
    21y

    Heloc, Eloc are a waste of money. Bouncing flucuation in interest rate monthly will kill your buzz of the low interest rates. You are better off refinancing rate/term or cash-out for a new property in Del Mar or Coronado and live life. If you would like to talk more about this I lived in San Diego for 20 years got kicked out and moved to Sacramento where I was told to grow up. Did, have college degree and 3/2 home and loving life. In the mortgage world almost anything is possible and yes you can get a heloc if you want on your rental property. Lets talk!

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    21y

    Your bank didn't "get it." I have all the products you'd ever need. I have a loan down in your neck of the woods right now.

    Your bank, probably didn't like the LTV or something?

    It doesn't matter that you have a rental property to get money out of it, it's a FICO/LTV issue. Most lenders still don't want you more than 80% LTV on a rental, but I have lenders that will go higher if you need.

    Hope this helps!

  • Member since 2008 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    21y

    You could also consider refinancing with a 620 fico can go 90% LTV NOO and at the same time get a HELOC, this will give you a much higher cash flow for additional properties.

  • Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    As everyone is stating, I believe your bank a) didn't explain themselves properly or b) didn't think you have enough equity (based on probably a computerized appraisal or area comps) to justify the Equity line you were asking for.

    You can always refi a rental property... or take out a HELOC - it is no different than your primary residence as long as the numbers check out.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    17y

    While I have not tried I have heard a lot of lenders are not doing equity lines on investment properties - yes you can refi but a lot of lenders not doing the equity line.

    But there is also a lot of info missing here - credit / LTV / DTI etc.....

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    Guys, check the dates. The original post is 4 years old.

    :cool:

  • Real Estate Investor · scranton, PA · Member since 2010 · 174 posts · 14 votes
    16y

    I did both a refi and eq LOC on two of my properties in January. Took talking to a couple banks, local banks (all I called were small locals) and it was easy

  • Real Estate Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2010 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Savannah, what did it take for you to get your refi done? What credit score will it take to refi? I have a 650 score and have a property under contract. I plan on doing lease option once rehab. I have buyers already for this property and they are willing to sign and place $5K down with 2yr option. I want to pay off the Hard money Lender with the refi. I am in the Seattle Wa. area.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.