What am I walking into with these feuding neighbors?

What am I walking into with these feuding neighbors?

TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 9 votes

What would you do?

I’m working on a deal and we are close to closing it. I find out the tenants have serious problems because one of the tenants dogs ran into the other tenants yard and bit their dog causing permanent damage.

A little cheap wire fence was thrown up, but the tenant with the injured dog is extremely upset that the previous landlord didn’t do anything about the issue and asking me to resolve it.

I have no idea how to handle this? The other landlord just did nothing, so the problem will still be there.

Evict all tenants with a no dog policy? The whole lot has dogs.

Inspectors and appraisers have been paid. The bank is involved and now this? How do I address it so I don’t wind up being the one that’s bit.

Can I even evict over something that happened before owning the properties? These are all paying tenants that have been in place for 3 and 4 years, so the properties would be turn key..

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

Sounds like you either enforce your lease with a no dog policy or put up a fence or barrier . If this is a major dilemma for you then self managing is going to be a long hard road for you

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Are you buying both properties?

    Is there an existing annual lease or are they on month to month?

    Are you willing to put up a real fence?

  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    7y

    What about installing an actual fence? Preferably a privacy fence, although a chain link would be cheaper. I'm not sure how big your lot is, but I know from personal experience, fences can be expensive. You implied that both neighbors are tenants so why not try to contact the owner of the other property and see if he/she will split the cost of the fence on the property line? That would lower the cost a little.

    The other option is to not renew their lease when it's up. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Sounds like you either enforce your lease with a no dog policy or put up a fence or barrier . If this is a major dilemma for you then self managing is going to be a long hard road for you

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Roxanne McClain

    Hi Roxanne,

    If you are going to be a Pet Landlord, you might want to think about having "Pet Rules" for the Pet owners in the lease (a dogs paw print on the lease won't hold up in court).

    Then if there's a violation of your "Pet Rules" you could simply remind the resident they have to follow the reasonable rules of conduct regarding their pet, or you could (possibly) serve an eviction notice for "pet rules violation" (if your local jurisdiction will evict for that).

    Also an animal that has attacked a person or another animal on the property might need to be removed immediately to avoid a potential liability issue for yourself. (Discuss this with a local attorney)

    It would be wise to discuss your lease wording options regarding this and your legal exposure as the owner of a Pet Friendly rental with a local attorney.

    And at a minimum avoid the "Dog Breeds" that insurance companies will drop you for.

    And regarding cats, there are no "Pit Cats" only "Pet Cats"... much less to worry about.

    Good Luck!

  • TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks

    Yes, It’s a total of 3 sfr . Already rented with the dogs.

    I’m getting them and they are side by side.

    I guess a fence could be the best solution, but I wonder would others just evict the tenants animals?

  • TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Chris Szepessy Privacy Fencing would be a big chunk of money for just having purchased. And it seems like one more thing to have to maintain later.

  • TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M. Gee thanks. So which would you do? Enforce it and start out with a bunch of empty units to rent out or put up a fence? Fences are not exactly cheap either.

  • TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac Thanks. And if it’s going to be “Pet Friendly” then they should pay pet rent. It might knock some of the excess numbers down too.

    The animal being removed is what I think should have happened the moment it bit another animal.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I would suggest that you make each and every tenant that has a pet get a very high insurance policy and get one yourself to

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    If they are 3 sfh side by side, I'd put up a fence in the back yards to separate them.  Once done, I'd also up the rent which will help cover the costs of the fence.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    I would make the aggressive dog leave. Part of my leasing process is not to allow aggressive dogs. What if it happens again and a kid tries to intervene? Just tell that tenant that they have the option to rehome the dog or get out of their lease early. Just explain to them that as an owner it's a huge liability for you. Also, you can insure yourself for a ton, but if something happens and they find out that it has happened previously they may try to find a way to deny your coverage. Your property, your rules. It will also make it clear to the other renters that they need to keep their own dogs in check. I would also create a dog policy of keeping them on leashes at all times. Good luck!

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Roxanne McClain

    Here’s what I would do if I was in your position.. let me start by saying I do not like dogs and do not allow pets in my properties.

    I would send them each a letter, explaining you will be the new owner and you understand there was/is an issue with neighbors dogs. You will not be paying for a fence, they are welcome to split the cost of one, or one of them pay the entire cost, or they may move out at any time.

    Roxanne I would pay the money for a fence because of tenants dog issues.. that’s their problem not yours in my opinion, unless an atty tells you different.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Edit above- wouldn’t pay not would

  • TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Matt M. That’s good advise. Thank you. I’ll work on the letter this afternoon and get them out.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt M.

    Hi Matt,

    You can click on the three green dots in the upper right of your post and edit your post (for a few minutes after you post it).

    Good Luck!

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac

    Not on the mobile app.. but thanks

  • Nashville · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    What I would suggest is to get you and your tenant a pet insurance. Just get prepared for the incidents.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.