How do i connect this GE CookTop

8 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I am remodeling my basement to be able to rent it out. I found a GE 30 inch cooktop for 40$ on facebook. I have attached the pictures. I dont know how to wire it. Do i just connect a 3 or four prong cord to the GE Cooktop?

If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated.

@Gavin Joel arredondo     It looks like something is missing. Did you remove anything?

There should be a piece of flexible conduit coming out from the bottom or side panel. It looks like you have wires with connectors on them, but there probably should be something else in there. It's hard to tell from the picture. You can look up the model number and you will find a wiring diagram and manual online. 

@Gavin Joel arredondo ,

I mean this with sincere respect and regard:  what the heck are you thinking?  

First, if it's an electric cooktop it is a 220 circuit connection.  That is not even in the same ballpark or even league as changing a broken light switch.  As @Charles Goetz pointed out, you might not even have all the necessaries.  So you saved a few hundred on the cooktop, spend a bit on a licensed electrician to hook up that bad boy.  Especially in a rental.  Maybe ask @Jim K.   about that.

Now, about that "making a basement into an apartment..."  NM, that's a story (and a permit) for another day.   Just please, don't fool around with stuff that can bite you is so many different ways.  Safety first.

@Marc Winter Winter @Charles Goetz

Thank you for the quick replies. I actually have not purchased it. I wanted to ask the community your thoughts on this equipment before i bought. Looks like ill just back out for now. 

Marc i see that you are from scranton. I just purchased this duplex in fountail Hill, just outside of Bethelhem PA,

I know it is illegal in most places to rent out a basement. But mine is sheetrocked and has a finished full bathroom. I wanted to put some flooring and maybe a cooktop to be able to rent it out to a close friend or relative. What do you think?

My realtor advise agaisnt this as i can get sued by the tenant. And that it is not a great way to start in RE

Originally posted by @Gavin Joel arredondo :

@Marc Winter Winter @Charles Goetz

Thank you for the quick replies. I actually have not purchased it. I wanted to ask the community your thoughts on this equipment before i bought. Looks like ill just back out for now. 

Marc i see that you are from scranton. I just purchased this duplex in fountail Hill, just outside of Bethelhem PA,

I know it is illegal in most places to rent out a basement. But mine is sheetrocked and has a finished full bathroom. I wanted to put some flooring and maybe a cooktop to be able to rent it out to a close friend or relative. What do you think?

My realtor advise agaisnt this as i can get sued by the tenant. And that it is not a great way to start in RE

That looks like a lot of colored spaghetti to me. It should be wired for a 240V direct connection for maybe a 10, maybe an 8-gauge cable. This looks like a thoughts and prayers situation to me, sadly. As for the basement apartment, if a firefighter can get in and out of it from both a door and an oversized window well, you're good. If not, you can cut into your foundation and expand an existing window and well.

The neighbor who sees someone into and out can trigger an uninvited city inspection to redtag the house. Putting a microwave for yourself is one thing mess with 208 volt 30 amp or 50 amp is another.   I am with your realtor. 

On that cook top-judging these Molex connectors appears to come from AP2 plant many years ago. 

@Gavin Joel arredondo :  basement apartments must have a valid certificate of occupancy for the unit.  Otherwise, they are illegal.  

If it is your own personal residence, and you want to stick your cousin down there as a family member, not a tenant, be sure they have 2 (two) means of egress.  

Remember, just because it's sheetrocked or has a bath with a gold faucet -- no c/o =  no-go.