Gravel Driveway....... Recommend?

9 Replies

Tenants would like me to add a gravel parking spot for them on the side of the home. i think it would look nice but does that truly add any value to the property?

- Cheapest driveway? Whats my options

- Did you go with the gravel route before?

Hey @Charlie Moore , I've used crushed granite or I've seen it called decomposed granite for drives and walks. Its finer than gravel and over time gets compacted down to almost look like a solid surface. It pretty much stays in place, unlike rocks or gravel. I assume this is available all over.

I'm not sure about what it's like where you're at, but in my area concrete has gotten outrageously high.

In my city we have to get a permit to do that.  You might want to check with the city first or you could be facing fines.  Crushed gravel or whatever they call it is pretty reasonable.  At least it is here.  The downside is you have to keep hauling in more gravel every few years as it gets washed away or sunk into the ground.  We had one for years and years.  When it rains it's a muddy mess. Finally took it out and put in cement.  I don't think it will add much value

How big of a space are you talking?  5ft by 8 ft?

I have personally lived in houses with gravel and crushed granite driveways.  When considering these surfaces, know that the rock can get stuck in the treads of shoes easily and they will destroy vinyl and wood flooring.  Carpet gets it dirty from it, the gray dust works into it.  Tile seemed to hold up ok.  

If you are in an area where folks wear smooth soled boots and dress shoes ok, but if its a sneakers type of an area, look at your floors carefully.

I do not think it added anything to the house's value wise. Where I live now the POA required it for where I park my boat trailer. But I have blacktop around that area in the pathway to the front door to avoid ruining the hardwood floors. The gravel has to have more added every 4 years or so. Mine is not even driven on much, maybe 4-8 times a year moving the boat seasonally and to service it, but the rain and snow do take their toll on the surface.

Originally posted by @Brent Paul :

In my city we have to get a permit to do that.  You might want to check with the city first or you could be facing fines.  Crushed gravel or whatever they call it is pretty reasonable.  At least it is here.  The downside is you have to keep hauling in more gravel every few years as it gets washed away or sunk into the ground.  We had one for years and years.  When it rains it's a muddy mess. Finally took it out and put in cement.  I don't think it will add much value

How big of a space are you talking?  5ft by 8 ft?

the space can fit 2 Mid sized vehicles.... About the size of 3 parking spots at your local mcdonalds haha. not a BIG area i suppose. 

Originally posted by @Lynnette E. :

I have personally lived in houses with gravel and crushed granite driveways.  When considering these surfaces, know that the rock can get stuck in the treads of shoes easily and they will destroy vinyl and wood flooring.  Carpet gets it dirty from it, the gray dust works into it.  Tile seemed to hold up ok.  

If you are in an area where folks wear smooth soled boots and dress shoes ok, but if its a sneakers type of an area, look at your floors carefully.

I do not think it added anything to the house's value wise. Where I live now the POA required it for where I park my boat trailer. But I have blacktop around that area in the pathway to the front door to avoid ruining the hardwood floors. The gravel has to have more added every 4 years or so. Mine is not even driven on much, maybe 4-8 times a year moving the boat seasonally and to service it, but the rain and snow do take their toll on the surface.

this was a great take. thank you! i dont know what to do now tho lolll

Originally posted by @Lynnette E. :

what is POA?

POAOriginally posted by @Charlie Moore :
Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

what is POA?

POA is the Property Owners Association. They do not want vehicles parked on the lawn, only designated 'parking spots'. You are only allowed so much garage space, so they allow boats/boat trailers on gravel. Seems silly to me, but they like their rules, so I just laugh and go about my life.

Trying to figure out the rules would drive a sane person crazy...don't try it!