Votes
Casey Rumfelt
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
Mold and HVAC issues In Huntsville

Casey Rumfelt
  • Huntsville, AL
Posted Aug 11 2019, 19:22

The SFR is in Huntsville, I think I got it for a pretty reasonable price, nothing to write home about but I am content. We completed the home inspection, insurance inspection, I looked at the property, the agent looked at the property, my property manager looked at the property, and the tenant inspected the property and found it to be inhabitable. No glaring issues of note. We had the house painted and a floor replaced prior to putting it on the market.

Then two months into the tenant living in the property, BOOM, he calls and says we have a mold problem. I was notified on Sunday via my property manager, and we immediately got to work trying to get estimates. Here we are a week later and I still don't have an estimate... is that a normal amount of time? We have had two mold companies out they say the HVAC is the issue, then we called two HVAC companies, and they say yeah the HVAC needs completely replaced and all the duct work. The unofficial first estimate is expected to be around 13,000 dollars!?!?! (That seems a bit high for a 1200 sq ft house)

The other problem (according to my property manager) is my crawl space isn't draining correctly... So no one is actually telling me the source of the moisture inside the house. Should I just hire a general contractor to come in and rehab the house? Or am I going a bit too far?

The follow on to that question is how much do you put in towards an asset that will only be worth 95 in the end?

Then the cherry on top is the tenant is starting to say things like "I'm not feeling good and I think it was because of the mold."

So anyway, just figured I would see what some of you all thought.

Loading replies...