How to Evict a tenant from single family house

How to Evict a tenant from single family house

Investor · Orange, NJ · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 1 vote

Greetings BP,

My tenant in a single family house is two months behind in rent. The July check just bounced and the June check also bounced causing me considerable issues. She hasn't paid August yet. She also told me flat out she can no longer afford to live there and she's looking to move. Keep in mind I never renewed the lease so it's month to month and I'm in New Jersey.

So my question: Should I pursue eviction? If so how should I do it?

Thanks in advance for sharing,

0Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Hubert Ato-Bakari Chase  As soon as she was late for June, you should have given her notice. Check your local laws, but if she said she's looking to move because she can't afford to live there, talk to her and tell her she's more than 2 months behind on rent and you're starting the eviction process.  She can chose to leave immediately without penalty (you are never going to see the missing rent) and then the eviction won't appear on her record.

    She has the three months' rent somewhere, so she can use that to get out.  Once she's gone and you've done the inspection, have her sign the remaining security deposit over to you to cover some of the lost rent.

  • Investor · Orange, NJ · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Greetings Theresa,

    Thanks for your information. I created a Notice to Pay Rent or Quit. I going to give her a chance to catch up in 30 days. If she doesn't do so, then I will start the eviction procedures. I think that is a fair way to go.

  • Investor · Orange, NJ · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Greetings Theresa,

    Thanks for your information. I created a Notice to Pay Rent or Quit. I going to give her a chance to catch up in 30 days. If she doesn't do so, then I will start the eviction procedures. I think that is a fair way to go.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.