• Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
No Guns In Rental Apartments

Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Posted Aug 14 2019, 07:57

Can a landlord restrict or prohibit a tenant possessing firearms in a rental unit, or on the common areas of rental property?  Here is an interesting article about this question:  

https://rentalhousingjournal.com/can-a-landlord-say-no-guns-in-my-apartments/?utm_source=Master+Investor%2FOwner%2FProp+Mngr%2FSocial&utm_campaign=b9e348f97a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_08_14_01_54&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1df36dfca7-b9e348f97a-165584705

After reading it, my first thought is, OK, we want to keep tenants and all occupants safe.  

But if we post "NO FIREARMS PERMITTED ON THESE PREMISES" what does that say to the 'bad guys'?  Where do most mass shootings occur?  They don't ever happen in Police precincts or on gun club ranges; they mostly occur in places (schools, theaters, malls, concerts) where there are NO WEAPONS ALLOWED policies.  

I am not trying to take a political stand; I'm trying to think logically about who gets shot during these horrific attacks?  It's almost always the softest targets.  It's a tough question and requires tough answers.  Unfortunately, in our world today, we must address them.

Comments on or personal experience with the topic are always welcome.  

Loading replies...